Man dies af­ter shark at­tack off Cape Cod

Wit­nesses tried des­per­ately to save 26-year-old vic­tim

The Dallas Morning News - - Nation - Jaws.

WELLFLEET, Mass. — A man was bit­ten by a shark Satur­day in the water off a Cape Cod beach and died later at a hospi­tal, be­com­ing the state’s first shark at­tack fa­tal­ity in more than 80 years.

The 26-year-old man from Re­vere suc­cumbed to his in­juries fol­low­ing the at­tack off New­comb Hol­low Beach in Wellfleet at around noon, Wellfleet Po­lice Lt. Michael Hur­ley said.

Joe Booth, a lo­cal fish­er­man and surfer, said he was on shore when he saw the man and his friend boo­gie board­ing when the at­tack hap­pened.

He said he saw the man ag­gres­sively kick some­thing be­hind him and a flicker of a tail from the water. He re­al­ized what was hap­pen­ing when the friend came ashore drag­ging his in­jured friend.

“I was that guy on the beach scream­ing, ‘Shark, shark!” Booth said. “It was like right out of that movie

This has turned into Amity Is­land real quick out here.”

Booth said oth­ers on the beach at­tempted to make a tourni­quet while oth­ers fran­ti­cally called 911.

Hay­ley Wil­liamson, a Cape Cod res­i­dent and for­mer life­guard who was on the beach at the time, was in dis­be­lief af­ter the man was rushed into an am­bu­lance.

“We’ve been surf­ing all morn­ing right here and they were just fur­ther down,” she said of the two boo­gie board­ers. “Right spot, wrong time, I guess.”

Life-sav­ing mea­sures were at­tempted on the beach be­fore the man was taken to Cape Cod Hospi­tal in Hyan­nis, where he was pro­nounced dead, State Po­lice spokesman David Pro­co­pio said. The beach has been closed to swim­ming.

The fam­ily of the vic­tim was no­ti­fied of the death but his name was not re­leased, Pro­co­pio said.

It was the first fa­tal shark at­tack in Mas­sachusetts since 1936, and the sec­ond shark at­tack this sea­son.

A 61-year-old New York man was se­verely in­jured Aug. 15 af­ter fight­ing off a shark off Truro, about 4 miles north of Satur­day’s at­tack. He’s cur­rently re­cov­er­ing in a Bos­ton hospi­tal.

“To­day is just keep­ing ev­ery­one out of water,” Hur­ley said. “There’ll be a de­ter­mi­na­tion later about what the town wants to do with the beaches go­ing for­ward.”

Beach­go­ers said the Wellfleet beach is pop­u­lar with surfers, and with sunny skies and warm tem­per­a­tures Satur­day it was busy, even though the sum­mer sea­son was over and life­guards were no longer on watch.

There have been fre­quent shark sight­ings this sum­mer along the outer Cape. The National Park Ser­vice, which man­ages many of the pic­turesque beaches where white sharks tend to con­gre­gate, said it closed beaches for at least an hour about 25 times this year — more than dou­ble the an­nual av­er­age.

The state’s last shark at­tack fa­tal­ity was on July 25, 1936, when 16-year-old Joseph Troy Jr. was bit­ten in wa­ters off Mat­tapoisett. He was swim­ming about 50 feet off­shore when the shark at­tacked.

Mer­rily Cas­sidy/The As­so­ci­ated Press

Cape Cod National Seashore Park Ranger Eric Trudeau told a group of vis­i­tors Satur­day that the beach was closed to swim­ming af­ter a fa­tal shark at­tack.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.