House fire in Maryland kills basketball player Omogbo’s parents, 2-year-old twins.
Emmanuel Omogbo’s nephew and niece also perish in blaze.
fort collins» Members of the Colorado State basketball program refer to each other as family, and Tuesday that family suffered a terrible tragedy.
The parents of senior forward Emmanuel Omogbo and two young family members died early Tuesday morning in a house fire in Chillum, Md., just outside Washington D.C., fire officials confirmed in a story by The Associated Press.
The victims were Omogbo’s father, Samson, 63; his mother, Caroline, 55; and the 2-year-old twins of Omogbo’s sister.
Elizabeth Omije, Omogbo’s sister and the mother of Israel and Anna, survived after jumping out a two-story window, according to reports.
Colorado State coach Larry Eustachy released the following statement on behalf of the team: “This is absolutely heartbreaking for Emmanuel, his family and for all of us that know him. There are no words to describe how it felt to hear this terrible news earlier today. They were a beautiful family that I enjoyed getting to know. The entire Colorado State men’s basketball team, athletic program and university will be there to support and help Emmanuel in any way we can through this incredibly tough time in his life.”
Omogbo, in his first season at CSU after transferring from South Plains College in Texas, plans to play in Wednesday’s game at Air Force.
“As tragic as it gets,” senior guard Joe De Ciman said, “I heard the news this morning, and you’re just kind of in shock. You’ve just got to send prayers to him. He’s a really tough guy. That’s what you get when you come to this program. We’re family. We’re all playing for him and his family the rest of this season.”