Fam­ily sues hos­pi­tal in son’s death

The law­suit claims he col­lapsed 40 min­utes af­ter be­ing dis­charged.

The Denver Post - - NEWS - By Jesse Paul

The fam­ily of a 10-yearold boy who col­lapsed and went into fatal res­pi­ra­tory ar­rest pur­port­edly 40 min­utes af­ter be­ing dis­charged from Swedish Med­i­cal Cen­ter’s emer­gency de­part­ment two years ago has sued the hos­pi­tal, call­ing the case an “un­speak­able tragedy” re­sult­ing from mis­takes at the hos­pi­tal.

The wrong­ful-death law­suit, filed Thurs­day in Ara­pa­hoe County District Court, says a doc­tor and nurse at Swedish did not prop­erly eval­u­ate and treat Isa­iah Bird, al­low­ing a treat­able ail­ment to be­come deadly.

Lawyers from Isa­iah’s fam­ily say an au­topsy showed the boy had not only in­fluenza, but also pneu­mo­nia and tra­cheitis, an in­fec­tion of the up­per air­way.

“Isa­iah’s res­pi­ra­tory ill­ness was very com­mon in Colorado, and was very treat­able. Isa­iah’s pe­di­a­tri­cian sent him to the ER be­cause he could not breathe and needed to be ad­mit­ted to the hos­pi­tal. In­stead, the ER staff dis­charged him with­out any at­tempt at a proper di­ag­no­sis,” David Woodruff, one of the at­tor­neys rep­re­sent­ing Isa­iah’s par­ents, said in a writ­ten state­ment.

Swedish re­leased a state­ment about the law­suit.

“Swedish Med­i­cal Cen­ter is aware of the law­suit that was filed, though we are sur­prised by many of the ac­cu­sa­tions,” the hos­pi­tal said in a state­ment. “Our hearts go out to the fam­ily, it is never easy to lose a loved one and no doubt this is a par­tic­u­larly dif­fi­cult time of year.”

Isa­iah’s fa­ther took him to a pe­di­a­tri­cian Dec. 23, 2014, be­cause the boy was com­plain­ing of breath­ing dif­fi­culty and had a wors­en­ing cough.

The doc­tor per­formed a rapid flu test, the law­suit says, show­ing Isa­iah had in­fluenza A.

When the fifth-grader did not re­spond to breath­ing treat­ments, the pe­di­a­tri­cian told his fa­ther to take Isa­iah to an emer­gency room for eval­u­a­tion and pos­si­bly hos­pi­tal­iza­tion, ac­cord­ing to the law­suit.

The law­suit says Isa­iah’s fa­ther im­me­di­ately took his son to the Swedish emer­gency room where the boy was eval­u­ated by a reg­is­tered nurse who al­legedly failed to rec­og­nize the se­ri­ous­ness of his con­di­tion. The law­suit also al­leges the physi­cian as­signed to the case never eval­u­ated the boy and in­stead helped or aided in de­cid­ing to give him some flu med­i­ca­tion.

Af­ter be­ing dis­charged, Isa­iah and his fa­ther went to a Wal­greens in Lit­tle­ton to fill the boy’s pre­scrip­tions. About 40 min­utes af­ter they left Swedish, the law­suit says, Isa­iah, still in his hos­pi­tal gown, stopped breath­ing.

The boy was re­vived and re­turned to Swedish, but by then, ac­cord­ing to the law­suit, he had suf­fered cat­a­strophic, ir­re­versible brain dam­age be­cause of a lack of oxy­gen.

The boy was taken off life sup­port on Christ­mas Eve, ac­cord­ing to the fil­ing.

The law­suit seeks un­spec­i­fied dam­ages for Isa­iah’s par­ents — who are no longer mar­ried — in­clud­ing for grief, loss of com­pan­ion­ship, im­pair­ment of quality of life, and other pain and suf­fer­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.