CANNABIST EDITOR SAYS FAREWELL
Ricardo Baca, who became the first marijuana editor for a mainstream news organization three years ago, announced Thursday he is resigning as editor-in-chief of The Cannabist to pursue other business interests.
The Denver Post will conduct a national search to replace him.
“Regardless of this news of my departure, The Cannabist is moving forward,” Baca said this week on “The Cannabist Show,” a weekly talk show and podcast he has hosted for nearly 100 episodes. “I expect very, very good things from this show, this website, this staff in the years to come.”
The Cannabist was launched in the last week of 2013, just ahead of the start of Colorado’s historic recreational marijuana sales. Its coverage of legalization issues and cannabis culture across America and the globe has since gained a national audience.
Baca steered coverage of the legal era with investigative pieces that shed light on the burgeoning cannabis industry and how it is regulated by state and local officials, including problems with the potency of edibles, concerns about the use of pesticides in commercial grows and an in-depth look at some of Colorado’s biggest cannabis entrepreneurs. He also wrote extensively on changing cultural norms.
“Ricardo had a vision for what The Cannabist ought to be — how it should blend news coverage with coverage of the marijuana culture, reflecting that the drug was now legal in Colorado. It seems like an obvious idea now, three years later, but back then, it took imagination and foresight,” Denver Post editor Lee Ann Colacioppo said.
Denver Post’s Ricardo Baca welcomes attendees to the inaugural Cannabist Awards. Denver Post file