Dy­lan’s dad ac­cused of killing 13-year-old dur­ing the boy’s Thanks­giv­ing 2012 visit

The Denver Post - - FRONT PAGE - By Kevin Simp­son

Mark Redwine, whose 13-year-old son Dy­lan dis­ap­peared while vis­it­ing him at his home near Du­rango in Novem­ber of 2012, was ar­rested on Satur­day in con­nec­tion with the boy’s death.

Mark Redwine, whose 13year-old son Dy­lan dis­ap­peared while vis­it­ing him at his home near Du­rango in Novem­ber 2012, was ar­rested Satur­day in con­nec­tion with the boy’s death.

The ar­rest, made in Belling­ham, Wash., came af­ter a La Plata County grand jury is­sued an in­dict­ment for sec­ond-de­gree mur­der and child abuse re­sult­ing in death.

Redwine, who works as a cross-coun­try trucker, had been named as a per­son of in­ter­est in the case nearly two years ago.

He is be­ing held on $1 mil­lion cash-only bond.

Through­out an in­ves­ti­ga­tion that has en­com­passed nearly five years, Redwine has de­nied any in­volve­ment in his son’s death.

Some of Dy­lan’s re­mains were dis­cov­ered about 8 miles from Redwine’s Val­lecito home in 2013, months af­ter Dy­lan had trav­eled to be with his fa­ther for a court-or­dered Thanks­giv­ing-week visit.

Nearly two years af­ter the dis­ap­pear­ance, hik­ers found the boy’s skull about a mile and a half from the first set of re­mains.

Mark Redwine and Elaine Hall, the boy’s mother, went through a con­tentious di­vorce and cus­tody bat­tle and even­tu­ally filed law­suits against each other con­nected to Dy­lan’s death, al­though both even­tu­ally were dis­missed.

They lev­eled ac­cu­sa­tions at each other dur­ing an episode of “Dr. Phil” in 2013 as the case went na­tional.

TV host Nancy Grace also ex­plored Dy­lan’s dis­ap­pear­ance.

From early on, blue rub­ber bracelets im­printed with “Find Dy­lan Redwine” sold for $5 each to raise money for the search. Vol­un­teers scoured the for­est near Lake Val­lecito. Vig­ils were held. A ben­e­fit din­ner, Crime Stop­pers and as­sorted donors raised $50,000 in a month to of­fer as a re­ward.

Spec­u­la­tion continued to swirl af­ter dis­cov­ery of Dy­lan’s re­mains, but Satur­day’s ar­rest marked a ma­jor shift in the saga.

The grand jury in­dict­ment de­scribes a cu­ri­ous se­quence of events af­ter Dy­lan’s ar­rival for the Thanks­giv­ing-week visit, as well as de­tail­ing a strained re­la­tion­ship with his fa­ther and a va­ri­ety of foren­sic ev­i­dence.

Sev­eral wit­nesses tes­ti­fied that Dy­lan had not wanted to visit his fa­ther, and sur­veil­lance video from the air­port and a Wal­mart showed “lit­tle to no per­sonal in­ter­ac­tion” be­tween fa­ther and son, ac­cord­ing to the in­dict­ment.

Text mes­sages in­di­cated

that Dy­lan had wanted to stay with a friend upon his ar­rival, but his fa­ther had re­fused. Dy­lan made plans via text to visit a friend’s house the next morn­ing in Bay­field, but that was the last that was heard from him. When Dy­lan didn’t ar­rive, the friend texted him — “where are you” — but got no re­sponse, the in­dict­ment said.

Redwine has said he left Dy­lan at home alone while he ran er­rands that morn­ing and re­turned to find him gone. He has said that he didn’t worry about his son be­cause he knew he wanted to spend time with friends.

Dy­lan’s mother re­ported him miss­ing, prompt­ing an in­ten­sive search ef­fort.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors found ev­i­dence of Dy­lan’s blood at sev­eral plac- es within Redwine’s home, and a ca­nine search also in­di­cated a “ca­daver scent” at var­i­ous lo­ca­tions in­side the home, as well as in the bed of his pickup truck and on the clothes he had been wear­ing the night his son dis­ap­peared, the in­dict­ment said.

Af­ter dis­cov­ery of Dy­lan’s skull, in­ves­ti­ga­tors sus­pected that it most likely had been moved from the site of the first re­mains by a hu­man, rather than wildlife roam­ing the area. Foren­sic an­thro­pol­o­gists de­scribed in­juries to the skull con­sis­tent with blunt-force trauma at two lo­ca­tions, and ref­er­enced mark­ings in­dica­tive of a knife rather than an an­i­mal or other nat­u­ral causes.

At the time the first re­mains were found in 2013, Redwine re­acted with ap­par­ent shock. “I can­not wrap my head around it,” he told The Den­ver Post. “You can never be pre­pared for some­thing like this.”

Since dis­cov­ery of the re­mains, a multi-agency team from the La Plata County Sher­iff’s Of­fice, the Colorado Bureau of In­ves­ti­ga­tion and the FBI have continued the in­ves­ti­ga­tion that led to Satur­day’s in­dict­ment and ar­rest.

Al­though Redwine pro­posed a va­ri­ety of pos­si­ble sce­nar­ios be­hind his son’s dis­ap­pear­ance and death, from be­ing picked up hitch­hik­ing to ab­duc­tion to be­ing killed in a bear attack, he de­nied any in­volve­ment in a 2014 in­ter­view with The Post.

“What is out of the realm of pos­si­bil­ity is that I would do any­thing to my son,” he said at the time.

Af­ter ex­tra­di­tion to La Plata County, Redwine will be ad­vised of the charges against him at a hear­ing be­fore Dis­trict Court Judge Jef­frey Wil­son.

Dy­lan Redwine

Mark Redwine

Du­rango Herald file

A poster of then-miss­ing 13-year-old Dy­lan Redwine hangs on a trail­head sign near Val­lecito Reser­voir on Nov. 26, 2012.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.