He al­legedly mur­dered his 13-year-old son in 2012

The Denver Post - - FRONT PAGE - By Caleb Hut­ton Pho­tos by Philip A. Dwyer, The Belling­ham Her­ald

Dy­lan Ni­cholas Redwine went miss­ing dur­ing a Thanks­giv­ing visit to his fa­ther’s home in Val­lecito more than 4K years ago.

On Mon­day, his fa­ther, Mark Allen Redwine, a long-haul trucker, ap­peared on a video screen in a Belling­ham, Wash., court­room for his first court ap­pear­ance since he was ar­rested Fri­day night on charges that he killed his son.

Su­pe­rior Court Com­mis­sioner Al­fred Hey­drich be­gan by ask­ing Redwine if he un­der­stood why he had been de­tained in What­com County, Wash.

“Well,” Redwine, 55, be­gan be­fore a public de­fender cut him off, hit a mute but­ton on the video phone and spoke with him for a mo­ment. Redwine had no ques­tions once the at­tor­ney un­muted the video.

Hey­drich set bail at $1 mil­lion. He has not waived an ex­tra­di­tion hear­ing, but he can do so any­time be­fore his next court hear­ing on Aug. 17. In the mean­time, What­com of­fi­cials await a war­rant from Gov. John Hick­en­looper re­quest­ing Redwine be re­turned to Colorado.

The story of Dy­lan’s dis­ap­pear­ance gained na­tional at­ten­tion when the search for the miss­ing teen wore on for months. Dy­lan’s mother, Elaine Hall, and Redwine had been go­ing through a heated di­vorce and cus­tody bat­tle, and they lashed out at each other on a two-part episode of “Dr. Phil” TV show in 2013.

Some of Dy­lan’s re­mains were found that sum­mer off a twist­ing moun­tain road about 8 miles from Redwine’s home. Hik­ers in rough ter­rain found the boy’s skull about 1K miles from the first site in 2015. The skull had “two small mark­ings con­sis­tent with tool marks from a knife, not caused by an­i­mal or nat­u­ral cause,” ac­cord­ing to a grand jury in­dict­ment in La Plata County, where Redwine is charged with sec­ond-de­gree mur­der and child abuse re­sult­ing in a death.

Po­lice pulled over Redwine’s truck around 10:40 p.m. Fri­day on Or­chard Drive in Belling­ham, where he was mak­ing a de­liv­ery. He was booked into What­com County Jail.

On Mon­day What­com County prose­cu­tor Dave McEachran sum­ma­rized a prob­a­ble cause state­ment in front of Hey­drich

and seven news cam­era crews. Redwine showed lit­tle reaction.

The in­dict­ment re­vealed new ev­i­dence in the case against Redwine:

Blood was found on a loveseat in Redwine’s liv­ing room, and tested as a match with Dy­lan’s DNA. Other blood sam­ples — on a cof­fee ta­ble, on a couch and on the floor un­der a rug — could not be ruled out as matches to Dy­lan’s DNA.

A ca­daver dog found the scent of a dead body in the liv­ing room, in a wash­ing ma­chine and on the clothes Redwine said he’d worn that night in Novem­ber 2012. The dog found a ca­daver odor in Redwine’s pickup, too, in early 2014.

The first set of re­mains was found a mile past a sea­sonal gate that closes in winter, about 100 yards off an ATV trail. Redwine owned an ATV and he was fa­mil­iar with that moun­tain road.

One of Redwine’s exwives re­ported hear­ing Redwine say if he ever needed to get rid of a body, he’d leave it in the moun­tains. He told her, too, that he would “kill the kids be­fore he let her have them.”

Mark Redwine makes his first ap­pear­ance with deputy public de­fender Ma­ial­isa Vanyo in court via video from jail in Belling­ham, Wash., on Mon­day.

Me­dia crowded the court­room in Belling­ham.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.