VIRGINIA OFFICIALS BELIEVE NOROVIRUS DID SICKEN DINERS
Health officials said that norovirus is believed to be what caused dozens of people to report becoming ill after eating at a Chipotle in suburban Washington, D.C.
The Loudoun County Health Department in Virginia said Monday that a second person has tested positive for norovirus, and it was the same strain as the first person whose test was positive. The department says it identified more than 135 people who reported becoming ill after visiting the Chipotle in Sterling, Va., between July 13 and 16.
The health department said, however, that it has not identified the specific source of the norovirus. It says it is not aware of any customers becoming ill since the store in Sterling reopened last Wednesday, after undergoing what the restaurant chain called “complete sanitizations.”
David Goodfriend, director of the Loudoun County Health Department, said in an email that some of those sickened were Chipotle employees.
The Denver-based chain, which has struggled to recover from past food scares, has noted its procedures for dealing with such issues. Its stock still has fallen since the illnesses were reported. The shares were down again Monday. — The Associated Press