Redwine arrest came too late for many
Father charged in 2012 murder of his 13-year-old son
Justice is finally being done for 13-year-old Dylan Redwine now that his father is going to court in connection with the boy’s 2012 murder, Colorado law enforcement officials said Tuesday.
But many are asking: Why now?
Dylan disappeared during a court-mandated November 2012 visit with his father, Mark Redwine, who lives near Durango. A year later, some of Dylan’s remains were found spread across a mountainside. But it wasn’t until Saturday that he was arrested in Washington state after a grand jury indicted him on charges of second-degree murder and child abuse.
“The loss of this young man has been very traumatic for our community, and I believe we all share in the grief that Dylan’s mother, Elaine, and all of his loved ones are experiencing,” La Plata County Sheriff Sean Smith said during a news conference Tuesday.
“After 4K years, I know many of you are asking questions about the length of the investigation, but I believe it tells a powerful story by itself,” he said. “This team put in countless hours ensuring that no stone was left unturned, literally, because they were committed to finding justice for this 13-year-old young man who lost his life over the Thanksgiving holiday in 2012.”
Sixth Judicial District Attorney Christian Champagne said he could not go into detail on why Redwine wasn’t arrested sooner, but he repeatedly pointed to Dylan’s skull, which showed signs of blunt-force trauma, as a turning point. It was found in 2015. Other evidence — such as the fact that a cadaver dog placed a dead body in Redwine’s home and truck, as well as on his clothes — was collected in 2012.
Dylan’s mother, Elaine Hall, suggested in an interview with 9News that the election of both Smith and Champagne brought a renewed focus on the case. Both denied that claim Tuesday, saying the work had been happening all along. Instead, they insisted that it needed to be a long process to make sure the investigation was done right.
Smith said TV shows such as “CSI” make investigations appear to progress quickly. But, he said, forensic labs and critical analysis take a long time.
“Whatever amount of time it took to get there, we were willing to do it,” Champagne said.
An extradition request should hit Gov. John Hickenlooper’s desk Wednesday morning, he said. Once approved, it would fall into the hands of the Washington governor. Redwine has the right to fight his extradition.
Before his disappearance, Dylan and his father had quarreled, and Dylan had seen compromising photos of his father, according to the indictment. He was also upset by the way his father was talking about Dylan’s mother and brother.
Redwine and Hall had often pointed fingers at each other, even appearing on the TV show “Dr. Phil” in 2013. The two, who had gone through a contentious divorce, were in the midst of a custody battle. Redwine told Hall he would “kill the kids before he let her have them,” according to the indictment.
Throughout the nearly fiveyear investigation, Redwine maintained his innocence. When Dylan’s remains, excluding the skull, were found in 2013, Redwine told The Denver Post: “I cannot wrap my head around it. You can never be prepared for something like this.”
He was named a person of interest the next year.