Fight brings Owl-Pa­triot game to early end

The Dundalk Eagle - - FRONT PAGE - By BILL GATES bgates@ches­

Fri­day night’s foot­ball game be­tween Dun­dalk and vis­it­ing Pat­ap­sco came to an abrupt, early end when of­fi­cials called the game mid­way through the third quar­ter due to a brief fight be­tween the two teams.

The game will go in the books as a 20-0 Dun­dalk vic­tory.

Pat­ap­sco was punt­ing with 6:53 re­main­ing in the third quar­ter and Dun­dalk lead­ing 14-0. The snap got past the Pat­ap­sco punter, and he chased down the ball and scooped it up, only to fum­ble when he was tack­led by a Dun­dalk player.

Dun­dalk’s El­izah Bivins picked up the ball and cruised into the end zone for a touch­down. While that was hap­pen­ing, how­ever, Pat­ap­sco’s punter and the Dun­dalk player who tack­led him be­gan scuf­fling on the ground.

Other play­ers on the field rushed to join in. Dun­dalk and Pat­ap­sco coaches, for the most part, pre­vented their play­ers from leav­ing the side­lines and en­gag­ing in the fra­cas.

Or­der was re­stored in less than a minute. Af­ter­wards, the of­fi­cials con­ferred with Owl coach Matt Banta and Pa­triot coach Tyler Clough and de­cided to end the game.

Of­fi­cials from both schools will re­view film from the game to de­ter­mine which play­ers are sub­ject to dis­ci­plinary ac­tion. Bal­ti­more County rules state any play­ers that leave the side­lines dur­ing a fight are sus­pended for their team’s next game.

Play­ers who started the fight and threw punches dur­ing the fight may re­ceive ad- di­tional dis­ci­plinary ac­tion.

Prior to the sud­den end, Dun­dalk had built its lead mainly through its de­fense as both of­fenses strug­gled to get any­thing go­ing.

Pat­ap­sco blocked a Dun­dalk punt early in the first quar­ter, but was un­able to con­vert the op­por­tu­nity into any points.

The Owls twice had a first down on the Pa­triot 20-yard line, but was turned back each time and lost the ball on downs.

The only of­fense ei­ther team demon­strated was a Dun­dalk drive late in the first half, when the Owls drove 63 yards in 11 plays for the game’s only of­fen­sive touch­down.

The big plays were a 15yard run by Isa­iah An­tol on third and 12 from the Owl 48-yard line, and an 18-yard com­ple­tion from Keyon Gar- rus to Mar­cus Moore that moved the ball to the Pa­triot 19-yard line.

Gar­rus then hit Chris­ton Fitz­grald with a com­ple­tion down to the Pat­ap­sco five, from where An­tol scored on a run off the right side.

Pat­ap­sco was forced to punt on its en­su­ing pos­ses­sion, but on first down Gar­rus was in­ter­cepted by Jose Padilla at the Pat­ap­sco 40 with 44 sec­onds re­main­ing in the half.

That turned out to back­fire on the Pa­tri­ots. Two plays later, Dun­dalk’s Alex Hafner scooped up a Pat­ap­sco fum­ble and re­turned it 50 yards for a touch­down with 22 sec­onds left to give the Owls a 14-0 lead.

Pat­ap­sco fum­bled on its first play of the se­cond half and Dun­dalk re­cov­ered at the Pa­triot 35. With the help of an un­sports­man­like con­duct penalty against the Pa­tri­ots, the Owls had a first down on the 20.

A mo­tion penalty set the Owls back five yards, and two run­ning plays gained two yards. Passes on third and fourth down were in­com- plete, hand­ing the ball back to the Pa­tri­ots and set­ting up the fin­ish when Pat­ap­sco was forced to punt after three plays.

Early in the se­cond quar­ter, Tre­shawn Ray hit Will Fedd for a forty-yard gain that gave the Owls a first down at the Pat­ap­sco 20. The Pa­triot de­fense pushed the Owls back 21 yards in the next four plays.

Pat­ap­sco (1-1) is sched­uled to host Perry Hall on Fri­day at 4 p.m. Dun­dalk (1-1) is sched­uled to host Lans­downe on Feri­day at 6 p.m.

Spar­rows Point (1-1) lost to vis­it­ing Here­ford 43-7 on Fri­day. The Poin­t­ers play at Over­lea (1-1) on Fri­day.


A group of Pat­ap­sco de­fend­ers gang-tackle Dun­dalk ball­car­rier Isa­iah An­tol.

Dun­dalk’s Alex Hafner returns a fum­ble 50 yards for a touch­down against Pat­ap­sco.

Dun­dalk’s Mar­cus Moore came down with this catch de­spite be­ing well-cov­ered by Pat­ap­sco’s Dashawn Guglizza and Aaron Gio­vante Ford.

Dun­dalk’s Will Fedd catches a pass for a 40-yard gain against Pat­ap­sco.

Pat­ap­sco’s Aaron Hen­der­son made what would have been a spec­tac­u­lar in­ter­cep­tion in the end zone, but wasn’t able to stay in­bounds.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.