Our Lady of Hope/St. Luke School
• Our Lady of Hope/St. Luke School will host its annual Fall Fest on Friday, Oct. 5, from 7 to 11 p.m. at the UAW Local 239 Hall at 1010 Oldham Street. The event will feature a Bull Roast as well as silent and live auction items. The school is also accepting donations for the auction item – gift cards, products, baskets and items to be put into baskets for auction are welcome! Anyone with a donation item, or would like more information about the event can contact the school office at 410-288-2793 for information. All proceeds from the event will benefit the school.
Area students graduate
• Jennifer Alvey of Sparrows Point recently received a Master of Science degree in Nursing from Frostburg State University in Frostburg, Md., during its 152nd commencement ceremonies.
• Other local students graduating from Frostburg State University in May included Willard Brewington (Bachelor of Science degree in Theatre), Crystal Pfarr (Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology and Law and Society) and Tyler Trojan (Bachelor of Science degree in Law and Society and Political Science).
• Madison Storme Willis graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Human Environmental Science from The University of Alabama during spring 2018 commencement in May.
Local students named to Dean’s List
• Local students Van Bunce (class of 2018), Jonathan Flink (class of 2018), Emily Seeberger (class of 2019) and Gracie Smith (class of 2021) were named to the spring 2018 Dean’s List at Loyola University Maryland. In order to qualify for the Dean’s List at Loyola University, a student must achieve a minimum QPA of at least 3.500 for the term, provided that, in the term they have successfully completed courses totaling a minimum of 15 credits.
BCPS school libraries offer summer hours, activities
• This year, select BCPS elementary school libraries are offering special summer hours during which students can check out books, write stories, use computers and engage in makerspace and other activities. Here are summer hours at BCPS school libraries. (Please contact the schools for more information.)
• Grange Elementary School, 2000 Church Rd., 21222, Friday, July 27, 1 – 3 p.m., Monday, Aug. 20, 1 – 3 p.m.
• Sandy Plains Elementary School, 8330 Kavanagh Rd., 21222, Wednesday, Aug. 1, from 2 – 4 p.m.
Education Foundation gears up for school supply drive
• The Education Foundation of Baltimore County Public Schools is inviting the community to participate in the Tools for Schools school supply drive through Friday, Aug.24. During that period, community members can drop off supplies at Baltimore County Public Library branches, Office Depot/Office Max locations in Baltimore County and First Financial Federal Credit Union branches, among other locations. All school supplies are welcome. Those most needed are: 3-ring binders, markers, pencils, notebooks, crayons, colored pencils, erasers. scissors, sticky notes, folders, notebook paper, dividers, pens, rulers, glue/ glue sticks, pencil cases, book bags, and reward stickers. In addition to signing up online to help, interested businesses/ organizations can sign up by contacting Cindy Whitcomb at cwhitcomb@bcps. org.
Maryland State Board of Education meetings now streaming online
• The Maryland State Board of Education will be live-streaming its meeting. The Board’s live-stream can be found on the State Board meeting portion of the MarylandPublicSchools. org website, marylandpublicschools. org/stateboard/ Pages/meeting-agendas/2018-07-24.aspx. The live-stream will be closed captioned in real time. If you experience trouble viewing this stream please contact: Eric Spenlinhauer erics@ townhallstreams. com,207-752-3402; or Matt Young at matty@townhallstreams. com
Senior school volunteers wanted
• BCPS, in partnership with the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP), is seeking volunteers over the age of 55 to assist in classrooms throughout Baltimore County. Volunteers support teachers with day to day tasks and encourage students to achieve. All volunteers must pass a background screening and complete an online orientation. For more information, or to register for the volunteer program, call 410-8873101 or send an email to email@example.com.