Family is displaced by stove fire
Accidental blaze causes complete loss
A Mechanicsville area home of two adults and three children was destroyed Monday evening, the community’s fire chief said, by a fire on the kitchen stove.
No injuries were reported from the blaze at the Woodburn Hill Road address, according to Mark Trowbridge, chief of the Mechanicsville Volunteer Fire Department. The response by about 40 firefighters to a 7:34 p.m. alarm also included crews from Hughesville, Benedict, 7th District, Bel Alton, Waldorf and Hollywood.
The bulk of the fire was
extinguished in about 30 minutes, Trowbridge said, but they remained on the scene until early Tuesday morning.
“I would call it a 100 percent loss,” he said of the damage to the two-story residence. “When I pulled up, there was fire [coming] out from every side … and coming through the roof of the garage.”
Restaurant damaged in kitchen blaze
Oily rags stored in a container spontaneously ignited on Monday night in the kitchen of a restaurant in Charlotte Hall, the state fire marshal’s office reports, resulting in $100,000 in damages before responding firefight- ers doused the blaze.
Employees left the Steak in a Sack business after a 3 p.m. closing time “without issue,” accord- ing to the agency’s notice of investigation, before a passerby noticed smoke and fire inside the front windows, and called 911.
About three-dozen volunteer firefighters primarily from Mechanicsville responded to a 9:41 p.m. alarm and battled the accidental blaze for 25 minutes to bring it under control. The Mechanicsville fire chief said Tuesday that the fire was contained to the kitchen area.
Car owner charged with arson
A Mechanicsville man remained in jail this week awaiting a court hearing following his arrest on a charge of second-degree arson from a investigation of a car fire last June near Oakville.
Philip Jonathan Fenwick, 58, also is charged with first-degree malicious burning and making a false claim of a motor-vehicle theft to an insurance company.
The 2011 Ford Fusion was found destroyed by fire on June 29 outside a vacant house along Medley’s Lane, after it had been reported sto- len earlier that day to police in La Plata, according to court papers filed by deputy state fire marshal Brandon Shepperd.
Fenwick told investigators that he discovered the car was missing when he left a discount department store in La Plata on June 28, according to a charges application filed by the law officer. Investigators reviewed surveillance camera video from the department store before obtaining the charges against Fenwick, who court papers state had been sent at least five repossession notices from the Ford Motor Credit Co.
Debris and damage remain after a kitchen fire at a Charlotte Hall restaurant.