SMR comes from be­hind to stay un­de­feated

Marks helps SMR rally from 24-point deficit

The Enterprise - - Front Page - By MICHAEL REID mreid@somd­

Kris­tian Marks tossed a 26-yard touch­down pass to Cam­den Boyle with less than three min­utes re­main­ing as host St. Mary’s Ryken stormed back to stun St. Mary’s of An­napo­lis 27-24 at home on Friday night.

The Knights, who trailed 24-0 at half­time and 24-20 at the end of the third quar­ter, com­pleted the pro­gram’s big­gest come­back on Marks’ touch­downs pass.

The Knights started the game-win­ning drive at their own 30-yard line and nine plays later, faced fourth down at the Saints’ 26 with no time­outs. Brady called for Empty, a corner route to the short side of the field, and Marks hit Boyle.

“Kris­tian was able to step up in the pocket to buy an ex­tra sec­ond and then let it go,” Brady said “It was beau­ti­ful.”

St. Mary’s Ryken, play­ing an in­de­pen­dent sched­ule this fall, is now 6-0. It had won just four games the pre­vi­ous two sea­sons.

“I’m just so proud of these kids,” Knights firstyear head coach Aaron Brady said. “I think we have some­thing spe­cial go­ing. I have to give a lot of re­spect to the team we played. They did an in­cred­i­ble job of pre­par­ing for us, the se­niors and the re­sult they had and I have to ap­plaud the com­mu­nity and the stu­dent body — of course, the par­ents won’t leave — but the

stu­dents could have left, but they and the teach­ers stayed.”

The spec­ta­tors stayed, but Marks was al­most forced to leave af­ter suf­fer­ing an an­kle in­jury on the Knights’ sec­ond of­fen­sive pos­ses­sion of the game.

The se­nior, who was taped up and barely able to walk, missed the rest of the first half and did not look good when he warmed up af­ter half­time.

“The coach who warmed him up said he can’t play,” Brady said. “But [Marks] said he wanted to try and said, ‘Coach, let me have one se­ries.’”

Marks promptly led

the Knights down the field and put them on the board. St. Mary’s of An­napo­lis was called for a 15-yard penalty on the point-af­ter so the Knights kicked off from the Saints’ 45-yard line and re­cov­ered the surprise on­side kick. Two plays later, St. Mary’s Ryken was within 24-14 with 5 min­utes 38 sec­onds left in the third.

“That en­er­gized the de­fense and the team,” Brady said.

Marks com­pleted 16 of 29 passes for 239 yards and four touch­downs and two in­ter­cep­tions.

Boyle had six catches for 85 yards and three touch­downs, Daniel Keith hauled in three re­cep­tions for 62 yards and Will John­son added four grabs for 50 yards. Colyn Web­ster made two

catches for 30 yards and a score. Keith also caught a 2-point con­ver­sion.

Calvin Bell had 133 of the Knights’ 155 rush­ing yards on 19 car­ries.

Ja­lyn Phillips had a team-high 20 tack­les, in­clud­ing 17 unas­sisted, Michael McIn­tosh had 14 and Ja­mar­cus Holt and An­thony Wil­son each added 11. Phillips and Will McKay each had a tackle for a loss. D’An­gelo Tull had two passes de­fensed, a fum­ble re­cov­ery and a caused fum­ble.

“We moved the ball, we just didn’t score,” Brady said of trail­ing at half­time. “It was pretty somber [in the lock­er­room], but I went in there and talked about what we had to do. The big­gest thing was there was no magic for us play- ing bet­ter; we had to ex­e­cute bet­ter and play as a team. I told them not to look at the scoreboard, and that if we just go out there and play bet­ter, we’ll learn from this ex­pe­ri­ence. I told them, ‘If you win the third quar­ter, you’ll win this game’ and I re­ally be­lieve that with mo­men­tum and the way things go.”

St. Mary’s Ryken trav­els to Mont­gomery County to take on Bullis at 7 p.m. Friday.


St. Mary’s Ryken’s Ja­lyn Phillips, top, and D’An­gelo Tull pull down St. Mary’s of An­napo­lis quar­ter­back Sam Weis­shaar in Friday’s win.


St. Mary’s Ryken’s Will McKay, right, makes an an­kle tackle on Saints’ quar­ter­back Will Weis­shaar dur­ing Friday’s 27-24 win.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.