Knights knock off McNa­mara for 2nd straight win

Knights foot­ball records sec­ond straight win in WCAC con­test that needed two days to fin­ish

The Enterprise - - Front Page - By COLIN STOECKER cstoecker@somd­

The weather was un­pre­dictable again for Fri­day night’s Wash­ing­ton Catholic Ath­letic Con­fer­ence game be­tween St. Mary’s Ryken and vis­it­ing Bishop McNa­mara.

The game stretched for two days be­cause of a light­ning sus­pen­sion with less than five min­utes left be­fore half­time Fri­day evening and the Knights lead­ing 13-7. Satur­day, the Knights never lost that lead and pre­vailed, 30-7, for their sec­ond straight win.

“[Bishop McNa­mara] is a good foot­ball team,” St. Mary’s Ryken head coach Aaron Brady said. “The score is not in­dica- tive of the game at all. We had a cou­ple late scores and late plays, but I’m happy our guys just hung in there.”

He added: “It’s kind of weird when you have to go play a game the next day and fin­ish it. We have a lot of stuff to clean up still, but I’m re­ally happy to get the first win at home. That’s a big one. Any WCAC win is a big win.”

St. Mary’s Ryken (2-1, 1-0 WCAC) struck first when sopho­more quar­ter­back Trevor Nored hit se­nior wide re­ceiver Cam­den Boyle with a five yard pass in the end

zone with 2:48 left to go. The Knights tried for the 2-point con­ver­sion, but the McNa­mara de­fense man­aged to dis­rupt the play to leave the score at 6-0.

Boyle had four catches for 140 yards re­ceiv­ing and three touch­downs. Nored was 8 of 11 pass­ing for 170 yards with three touch­downs and one in­ter­cep­tion.

“It went great. It was a good team effort,” Boyle said. “It got split up into two days, but we came back out here and got to work. Our quar­ter­back Trevor played a good game, the of­fen­sive line did, too. It’s every­body re­ally, a team effort. It’s a great step­ping-stone here and we play Pal­lotti next week­end.”

The Knights reached the end zone again in the open­ing minute of the sec­ond quar­ter when Nored hit Boyle for a 42yard touch­down pass. Ju­nior kicker Gar­rett Watkins made the ex­tra point and the score was 13-0 Knights.

McNa­mara an­swered as se­nior quar­ter­back Miles Miller lobbed a pass to se­nior wide re­ceiver Ervin Wilkins for a touch­down. The ex­tra point was good, trim­ming the St. Mary’s Ryken lead to 13-7 with 7:08 left be­fore half­time.

Then with heat light­ning in the dis­tance, of­fi­cials de­layed play with 4 min­utes 46 sec­onds left in the open­ing half and there would be no fur­ther play on Fri­day night. The teams re­turned to the field for a 7 p.m. Satur­day re­sump­tion and the Knights ran to a wet vic­tory.

“We have some mo­men­tum go­ing now,” Brady said. “We have an­other team com­ing from Bal­ti­more next week. We don’t have any easy weeks. I’m ex­cited the way our se­niors stepped up tonight and led this team, Cam­den Boyle, Will McKay, and sopho­more quar­ter­back Trevor Nored. Nored made a cou­ple plays that changed the game. The back breaker was the scram­ble and find­ing Cam Boyle in the mid­dle of the field.”

The Mustangs started out with the ball when play re­sumed Satur­day, but with only sec­onds left to go be­fore half­time, ju­nior Colyn Web­ster in­ter­cepted a Miller pass. Web­ster also had an­other in­ter­cep­tion in the third quar­ter.

The Knights steadily ad­vanced the ball down the field in the third and Watkins man­aged a 26- yard field goal with 2:44 left in the third quar­ter to ex­tend the lead to 16-7.

Boyle was next to score for St. Mary’s Ryken with his third touch­down of the game, a 76-yard touch­down pass from Nored with 7:49 left in the fourth quar­ter.

With the rain in­ten­si­fy­ing, the Knights cap­i­tal­ized as se­nior run­ning back Jonathan Wynn ran 45 yards for a touch­down with just over three min­utes left in the game. Watkins made the ex­tra point to make it 30-7. Wynn had 19 car­ries for 140 rush­ing yards in the game.

“Can’t turn the ball over, can’t have pe­nal- ties,” McNa­mara head coach Keita Mal­loy said. “I never feel good if we lose, that’s never ac­cept­able, and we’re not go­ing to ac­cept that. But we can’t turn the ball over and can’t have penal­ties. We lost noth­ing, I told them af­ter the game, we only have one goal and that’s to win the WCAC. We lost to a team very com­pa­ra­ble to us. Didn’t think we played well in the sec­ond half. They won the game.”

St. Mary’s Ryken looks to make it three wins in a row at 7 p.m. Fri­day in a home con­test ver­sus Pal­lotti of Prince Ge­orge’s County.


St. Mary’s Ryken se­nior run­ning back Jonathan Wynn runs with the ball in Fri­day night’s game against Bishop McNa­mara High School. Wynn had 19 car­ries for 140 yards and one touch­down as the Knights were vic­to­ri­ous 30-7 in a weather-de­layed game that fin­ished Satur­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.