been any hurricanes.”
The East Pacific currently has two tropical storms: Norma and Otis.
An average hurricane season prediction is four to five tropical cyclones for the Central Pacific, according to NWS. The May outlook predicted a 40 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 20 percent chance of a belownormal season.
The outlook reflects the possible transition to weak El Niño during the hurricane season, along with a prediction for near or above-average ocean temperatures in the main hurricane forming region, and a near or weaker-than-average vertical wind in the same area, said Gerry Bell, NOAA’s lead seasonal hurricane forecaster at the Climate Prediction Center.
In 2016, forecasters predicted seven tropical cyclones for the season, and six appeared, which is slightly above the seasonal average. Hurricane Pali oc- curred in January 2016, bringing the total to seven storms in the calendar year.
In 2015, NOAA recorded 16 tropical cyclones, which broke the 30-year record. The second most active year for tropical storms was in 1994 when 11 storms blew through the Central Pacific. In 2014 there were five.
The Pacific’s calm coincided with reflections on the 25th anniversary of Hurricane Iniki, and residents’ feelings toward tropical storms are just as mixed. Larry Rivera then, and still today, is the people.
He wants to take care of everyone, it seems, and send them off better than when they came.
“When you leave Kauai, carry aloha with you and share it wherever you go,” he says.
Rivera’s musical career has spanned seven decades. He was friends with and played with Elvis Presley at Coco Palms. His songs have been about the people and places he has come to know. He is storyteller, too. He tells one of a little boy born at home, no doctor, a midwife, and the baby boy didn’t look right. He wasn’t going to make it, Rivera says, so the consensus was, toss him in the rubbish can.
After the boy, a baby girl came out. Someone went back, picked up the baby boy and slapped him. The baby responded.
“And here I am. True story,” Rivera says.
He speaks of receiving seven lifetime achievement awards and shrugs them off.
“Every time they think I’m going to die, they give me an award,” he says, laughing.
Lurline said being onstage with her father is “fantastic.”
“You can only imagine what it’s like to be playing with your own dad. It’s something I never thought I would be doing for this long.”
It was more than 25 years ago that her dad asked her to perform with him until he could find someone else. She said OK.
“He was 60-something, probably won’t be doing this very much longer, so I guess I can go along with it,” she said.
A few weeks went by. A few months.
“Did you find somebody?”
“It’s something to always be prepared for,” said Mary Martha Hull of Wainiha. “But I’m not worried about one right now.”
Chaunde Cockett of Lihue always has an emergency kit at her house in case of a hurricane, because she remembers the havoc after Hurricane Iniki.
“I was 6 and I remember I had to help tape shut the glass windows,” she said. “Even though it’s been more than 20 years, it’s important to be prepared.” Lurline asked.
“Yes,” her father answered. “Who?” “You.” They’ve been sharing the stage since.
Cafe Portofino’s Giuseppe Avocadi says Rivera is a rare man, talented, caring, humble.
“It’s unbelievable. He’s the true aloha spirit, this man,” he said.
People come from all over to meet him, see him perform. And he treats them all like family.
“Everyone is his friend,” Avocadi said. “He is an amazing person.”
Rivera was delighted Wednesday when so many of his ohana showed up at Cafe Portofino. Family is everything to this man.
“It’s a feeling that makes you want to cry. It touches your heart. They love you and you love them,” he said.
Most important to Rivera, he says with a big smile, “I’m still alive at this age.” He puts on several shows a week, including at the Kauai Museum and the Garden Island Grille.
And he still hits the road. Rivera traveled to St. Paul, Minnesota, this weekend for two shows, where he’ll be joined by Larry Rivera Jr.
If he has it his way, he’ll play as long as he’s on this Earth.
“I always tell the audience, they are the ones responsible for keeping me alive,” he said.
His music is about real things, real people, real places. People respond to it — with smiles, with applause, with tears of joy.
“It gives you life when you can see the people looking at you smiling,” he said.
Larry Rivera, you can bet, smiles back.