Sprinklers save townhome in development
Cheltenham cire jarshal Joseph l’keill credited sprinklers with saving a new townhome in the Wyngate community in the unit block of lld Cedarbrook Road April 16.
A neighbor reported at 4WM1 p.m. that water was coming out of the garage of the home, where no one was home, police sDLd. 2IfiFers DrrLved WR find sPRNe FRPLnJ from the front door, but the sprinklers effecWLveOy SuW RuW WKe fire, 2’1eLOO sDLd.
The home did sustain smoke and water dDPDJe Dnd sRPe PLnRr fire dDPDJe, Ke said, rendering it temporarily uninhabitable. The homes on either side were not damaged, he said.
2’1eLOO sDLd WKe fire wDs DFFLdenWDO Ln nDture, caused by spontaneous combustion of rags that had linseed oil on them, which the KRPeRwner KDd used Ln refinLsKLnJ sRPe furniture.
“ft has to be about 1RM degrees to set the sprinklers off,” l’keill said. “Without the sprinklers we would only KDve NnRwn [DERuW WKe fire@ wKen fire was blowing out the window,” he said.
$ERuW 20 firefiJKWers IrRP WKe GOenside, Wyndmoor, iajott and Edge HLOO fire FRPSDnLes resSRnded WR WKe scene, he said.