Support school property tax relief
To the Editor:
In Cheltenham, a nonincome producing home is taxed at 4.23 percent of assessed value. Income is taxed at 3.07 percent by the state, plus 1 percent by Cheltenham for a total of 4.07 percent. How does it make sense to tax a non-income producing property at a higher rate than income?
Also, a typical $6,000 school property tax is equivalent to placing a $100,000 mortgage on a home. How does this make sense?
Relief from the burdensome school property tax is gaining bipartisan strength throughout PA. The PA House version of the Property Tax Independence Bill, HB76, now has 80 co-sponsors, Republicans and Democrats, including the Democratic 0LnRrLWy :KLS. 7wHnWy-WwR more supporters are needed for passage. The PA Senate version of the Property Tax Independence Bill, SB76, has 22 co-sponsors, Republicans and Democrats. Four more supporters are needed for passage.
2Xr Rwn 5HS. 6WHYH 0FCarter, D-154, and Sen. LeAnna Washington, D-Pa, are missing from the list of co-sponsors.
If you agree the school property tax is a burdensome regressive tax, go to http://www.ptcc. us or http://www.cheltenhamgop. org and read about the bills, then FRnWDFW 0FCDrWHr DnG :DVKLnJton and ask them to help Cheltenham’s taxpayers by co-sponsoring the bills, HB76 in the House and SB76 in the Senate. School property tax relief is gaining bipartisan support throughout Pennsylvania. Let’s make it happen. Myron Goldman
Elkins Park, PA
AFS looks for families to host Chinese students
To the Editor:
Have you ever considered hosting an international student? Currently we are looking for host families for ninth- and 10th-grade students from China who will study at the Abington Friends School this September.
Living in several provinces in China, these students have studied English for many years and are eager to be in an American home to experience culture, English and family lifestyle. The host family will have the opportunity to learn about Chinese culture and language and form a lasting bond and friendship. Having hosted a number of times, we now have friends to visit in China who have become our extended family. Compensation is $1,000 per month. Students will have full academic support and guidance. Bus service is available if your home is within 10 miles of AFS. If your family is ready to consider this opportunity, SOHDVH FRnWDFW (ODLnH 0DrJRlis at 484-802-7204 or elaine. email@example.com for more information. Elaine Margolis
Legislature seeks to ‘destroy marriage’
To the Editor:
The Chronicle has advised us that a bill is being introduced in Harrisburg that would identify homosexual relationships as a marriage.
This is quite a task for any legislature — to do so requires a denial of the Creator’s plan for the human family, a denial of human history and a denial that the male and female bodies have been designed to copulate.
As has been stated elsewhere, “Legislation for same gender marriages is like legislating for male breastfeeding.”
Those citizens who charge that they are being shortFKDnJHG finDnFLDOOy Ey WKH state should pursue the state for the funds they seek rather than seek to destroy marriage. J.P. Stanton Jenkintown