Elec­tri­cal fire at Chel­tenham ShopRite quickly ex­tin­guished

The Globe - - OPINION - By Linda Finarelli

A fiUH WKDW EURNH RuW around 8 a.m. July 24 in an elec­tri­cal panel at the ShopRite, 2385 W. Chel­tenham Ave., was quickly ex­tin­guished by D fiUH­fiJKWHU IURP WKH LD Mott Fire Com­pany who hap­pened to be shop­ping in the store, ac­cord­ing to Chel­tenham Fire Mar­shal Joseph O’Neill.

7KH fiUH LnYROYHG HOHFtri­cal com­po­nents in the store’s com­pres­sor room, O’Neill said in an email. 7KH fiUH­fiJKWHU “KHDUG them talk­ing about a probOHP DnG fiUH, LGHnWL­fiHG him­self and went to the lo­ca­tion, where he used a dry pow­der ex­tin­guisher WR H[WLnJuLsK WKH fiUH Ln high volt­age equip­ment SULRU WR WKH fiUH GHSDUW­ment ar­rival.”

The store had light smoke in the rear ser­vice ar­eas, which re­spond­ing com­pa­nies ven­ti­lated us­ing fans, he said. There was no sPRNH Rn WKH sDOHs flRRU, Ds de­vices called “duct smoke de­tec­tors” had shut down the air units once they de­tected smoke, so smoke was not sent through the store, which is ex­actly what they were sup­posed to do, he said.

The store was able to re­main open, and con­trac­tors were brought in to re­pair the prob­lem, O’Neill said. The com­pres­sors run var­i­ous cold cases in the store, so the prob­lem had to be ad­dressed im­me­di­ately, he said.

“There should be no prob­lem, but the Mont­gomery County Health Depart­ment was no­ti­fied and will be out there to fol­low up with the store,” he said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.