Med­i­cal care in un­fa­mil­iar ter­ri­tor y

The Hazleton Standard-Speaker - - LIFESTYLES - HINTS FROM HELOISE

Dear Heloise: Many peo­ple to­day are trav­el­ing for busi­ness, va­ca­tions and to visit fam­ily and friends. But what do you do when you need a DOC­TOR IN A FOR­EIGN COUN­TRY ?— Laura S ., Auburn, Wash­ing­ton

Laura, your first call should be to the U.S. em­bassy (http://www.usem­, and I rec­om­mend hav­ing the phone num­ber and ad­dress of the em­bassy with you for each coun­try you plan to visit. The em­bassy can help you find a doc­tor or hospi­tal, and even can con­tact fam­ily or friends on your be­half. Make sure the doc­tor you see can un­der­stand your lan­guage, and make a list of all med­i­ca­tions you take. Have this in­for ma­tion in your wal­let for easy ac­cess.

It’s al­ways best to be proac­tive with your health. Make sure you’re up to date with all vac­ci­na­tions, have all of your med­i­ca­tions with you, and carry a card with your blood type, any chronic ill­ness you might suf­fer from and any

al­ler­gies you have. Wear a med­i­cal-alert bracelet, es­pe­cially if you have a se­ri­ous med­i­cal con­di­tion. If you are trav­el­ing to a dan­ger­ous place, it’s wise to reg­is­ter with the Amer­i­can em­bassy in that coun­try. — Heloise

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.