The Kent Island Bay Times - - Sports -

fight­ing him­self with about 200 me­ters re­main­ing.

“I couldn’t hear noth­ing at all, ex­cept my own thoughts,” Ko­let­sky said. “Com­ing into that turn [point­ing to­ward the curve at 200 me­ters] I thought to my­self, ‘Oh my God, I need to stop right now or I’m go­ing to die.’ And I was like, ‘I

can’t do it. Not my last high school race.’ I wanted to give up so bad.”

Ko­let­sky didn’t give up, or fade, cross­ing the fin­ish line in a per­sonal-record time of 1 minute, 58.06 sec­onds to beat run­ner-up Dono­van McClel­lan (1:59.23) of Boons­boro and third-place Tyreke Thomp­son (1:59.52) of Fair­mont Heights.

Ko­let­sky, who won the 800 and an­chored the win­ning 3,200 re­lay at this year’s state in­door cham­pi­onships,

gave Cam­bridge-SD its first in­di­vid­ual out­door cham­pion since Jes­sica Narr won the girls’ 1,600 and 3,200-me­ter ti­tles in 2014, and be­came the Vik­ings’ first male cham­pion out­doors since Nicky Pur­nell ral­lied to beat Eas­ton’s Mark Brown for the 300-me­ter hur­dles cham­pi­onship in 1985 for Class B (now Class 2A).

“I didn’t pre­pare well at all for this first race be­cause I had no events all day un­til now,” Ko­let­sky said. “I

didn’t pre­pare as good as I should have. That’s why I’m in pain now; I’m dy­ing over here. But once I got past that (turn) my mind­set of ‘I can’t stop’ car­ried me into the fin­ish. It’s even bet­ter than the four by eight.”

“He ran his heart out,” Narr said.

As did Kent Is­land’s Bran­don Ni­chols ear­lier Satur­day while tak­ing run­ner-up hon­ors in the 2A boys’ 3,200 me­ters, which was orig­i­nally sched­uled for Thurs­day, but was can­celled be­cause of the thun­der­storm that rolled through Bal­ti­more.

Ni­chols and team­mate Erick

Sanchez ran fourth and fifth, then dropped to fifth and sixth through the early and mid­dle laps of the race as Calvert’s Justin Diehl moved into the lead.

“I knew it was fast,” Ni­chols said of the pace. “We hit that sec­ond lap, Diehl kind of took the lead, I knew we were way ahead of what I thought we were go­ing to be. I wasn’t sure what I was go­ing to kind of do, be­cause at that point I was al­ready fur­ther up than I thought I was go­ing to stay. Me and Erick were kind of in the same place for awhile, and he was hang­ing in.

“Then we hit the first mile, 4:40, re­ally fast, and that’s when I kind of set­tled into a real pace again, started drop­ping back a lit­tle bit,”’ Ni­chols said. “And then I hit those last two laps with ev­ery­thing I had.”

Ni­chols made a big move on the bell lap, pass­ing ev­ery­one ex­cept Diehl — who won in 9:32.79 — and pushed down the fi­nal stretch be­fore rais­ing his arms in cel­e­bra­tion and then col­laps­ing with a new school record 9:36.61 that broke Kent Is­land’s

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.