Wo­man saved hus­band and, af­ter he awoke, gave birth to their son

The Mercury News Weekend - - NEWS - MIN­NESOTA By Lind­sey Bever

Thirty-nine weeks’ preg­nant and sched­uled to be in­duced the next day, Ash­ley Goette had to force the grim thoughts fromher mind.

Goette, from Saint Paul, Min­nesota, woke up last week and heard her hus­band, An­drew, gasp­ing for air. Though she did not know it at the time, her hus­band was slip­ping into car­diac ar­rest due to an ab­nor­mal heart rhythm, ac­cord­ing to re­ports. Goette di­aled 911. “I think my hus­band can’t breathe,” she told the dis­patcher, ac­cord­ing to 911 au­dio ob­tained by “GoodMorn­ing Amer­ica.” “He was just mak­ing these sounds. I think I need to give him CPR.”

She was right, and the dis- patcher be­gan to walk her through it, telling her to drag her hus­band onto the floor to start com­pres­sions.

“I’m preg­nant,” Goette re­sponded, sound­ing as though she was strug­gling. “I can’t do this.”

The soon-to-be mom later said she started per­form­ing CPR on the bed, and soon af­ter, the paramedics ar­rived, rush­ing her hus­band to a nearby hospi­tal, where he was placed in a med­i­cally in­duced coma.

“I didn’t want to have to think for one sec­ond about hav­ing to do any of this with­out him,” she said dur­ing a news con­fer­ence, ac­cord­ing to Fox af­fil­i­ate KMSP. “I kept telling himthe whole time he was asleep, or in his coma, that I was not go­ing to have this baby un­til he woke up.”

Of­fi­cials said An­drew Goette was placed in the coma Oct. 16 at United Hospi­tal in St. Paul and his body was cooled down in an ef­fort to min­i­mize pos­si­ble brain dam­age. De­spite fear that “he might have suf­fered se­vere dam­age from the car­diac ar­rest,” when he was awak­ened the next day, “he turned out to be fully re- spon­sive and neu­ro­log­i­cally in­tact,” ac­cord­ing to me­dia ad­vi­sory from Al­lina Health.

“As the nurse be­gan to re­move the seda­tives, An­drew be­gan to twitch,” ac­cord­ing to a GoFundMe set up for the cou­ple. “Still think­ing it could be shiv­er­ing or a seizure, his nurse Libby said, ‘ An­drew, open your eyes.’ ” And he did. “Open­ing his eyes, he fo­cused on each fam­ily mem­ber in the room,” ac­cord­ing to the GoFundMe page. “They asked him to squeeze my hand and he did, wig­gle his toes and he did, thumbs up with your right, thumbs up with your left, yes! What ev­ery­one wit­nessed was un­ex­plain­able. Joy­ful.”

On Oct. 18, Ash­ley Goette was in­duced, and by the next day, she was ready to de­liver their first child.

Goette said her hus­band’s med­i­cal team wheeled him down to the ma­ter­nity ward in his hospi­tal bed and “parked it next to mine,” ac­cord­ing to KMSP. A photo on GoFundMe shows the cou­ple, side-by- side in their beds, hold­ing hands.

Ul­ti­mately, Goette needed a Csec­tion, so her hus­band had to watch the birth via video chat. But, the cou­ple said, in the end, it didn’t mat­ter.

“I was just so ex­cited to be able to see him be born,” the new fa­ther told re­porters about the birth of his son, ac­cord­ing to CBS af­fil­i­ate WCCO. His wife agreed. “All of that is noth­ing,” she said. “He’s com­ing home and that’s re­ally the only thing that mat­ters.”

“I didn’t want to have to think for one sec­ond about hav­ing to do any of this (hav­ing a baby) with­out him.” — Ash­ley Goette, who per­formed CPR on her hus­band, An­drew, be­fore even­tu­ally giv­ing birth to their son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.