Mill­wood rolls over Cas­cia Hall

The Oklahoman (Sunday) - - SPORTS - By Adam Kemp, Staff Writer

Mill­wood coach Dar­win Franklin and his coaches timed Mar­cus

Ma­jor’s 40-yard screen pass he took to the end zone Fri­day night against Cas­cia Hall.

They clocked him at 4.3 sec­onds. “He looked like he was float­ing,” Franklin said. “He was mov­ing.”

While the mea­sure­ment was pos­si­bly not the most ac­cu­rate, the re­sult of Class 2A No. 1 Mill­wood (3-0) at Class 4A No. 5 Cas­cia Hall (1-2) re­ally never was in doubt as Mill­wood out­gained Cas­cia Hall by 173 yards to 12 in the first half, and kept rolling in the sec­ond half for the 52-15 vic­tory.

“We are feel­ing good but we are not dwelling on it,” Franklin said. “We need to keep get­ting bet­ter and im­prov­ing and do­ing what we need to do to get bet­ter and al­ways be im­prov­ing.”

In ad­di­tion to the touch­down catch by Ma­jor, Mill­wood quar­ter­back Mon­trell Wil­son also threw a 21-yard touch­down pass to Kit­takone Siri­som­bath. The Fal­cons also scored on a blocked punt by Dez­mond Howard.


Coach Rashaun Woods said he knew re­plac­ing sev­eral starters from last year’s play­off semi­fi­nals team wasn’t go­ing to be easy. But through three games he’s happy with the Bears de­vel­op­ment.

As Class 3A No. 3 John Mar­shall (2-1) de­feated Class 3A No. 6 Sul­phur (3-1) 35-18 on Fri­day night, Woods cred­ited a few new guys for step­ping up.

“Trey Ea­son played re­ally well,” Woods said of the trans­fer from Anadarko. “Che’Don Cald­well stepped it up on de­fense too. We lost a lot of lead­er­ship so it’s been good to see new guys step­ping up.”

Af­ter a rough start to the sea­son, a 21-point Week 1 loss to Her­itage Hall, Woods said his team has steadily im­proved each week.

“We weren’t happy with the way we ex­e­cuted in week 1 or 2,” Woods said. “So I think we were hap­pier with how we did in week 3 but we still have plenty to work on.”


Down 14 late in the fourth quar­ter, Class 3A Marlow (1-3) needed a spark to have a chance of mak­ing it a game against Class 2A Washington (3-1.)

They got it on de­fense as se­nior de­fen­sive back Blaise Voight in­ter­cepted a Washington pass and re­turned it deep into Washington ter­ri­tory, even­tu­ally set­ting up a 1-yard touch­down run by se­nior quar­ter­back Will Coff­man to make the game 21-14 with three min­utes re­main­ing.

Marlow run­ning back Noah

Over­shine then re­cov­ered an on­side kick and on the first play, Coff­man hit re­ceiver Daw­son Hud­dle­ston for a 44-yard bomb to tie the game at 21-21, send­ing it into over­time.

Af­ter both teams ex­changed scores in the first over­time pe­riod, Washington got the ball first to make it 35-28. Marlow was able to an­swer when se­nior run­ning back

Owen Wax­ell scored on a 5-yard run and then Marlow de­cided to end things right there as Coff­man hit Hud­dle­ston again, this time on a 2-point con­ver­sion in the cor­ner of the end zone to win 36-35.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.