Important facts about generic medications
If your doctor or pharmacist has suggested replacing your brand-name medication with generics in order to save money, here are some important facts you should know about generic medications. According to the Food and Drug Administration, in order to be approved for use, generics must:
• Match the brand-name drug’s dosage, safety, effectiveness, strength, stability and quality.
• Use the same active ingredients.
• Be taken the same way the brand-name medicine is taken.
• Be prescribed for the same conditions the brand name is prescribed for.
• Undergo a rigorous review by the FDA Generic Drugs Program.