Two burned in CH flash fire

An elec­tri­cal spark ig­nited some gaso­line va­pors in the apart­ment, which was be­ing re­mod­eled at time

The Progress-Index Weekend - - FRONT PAGE - Staff Re­port

COLO­NIAL HEIGHTS - Two peo­ple were burned, one se­ri­ously, in what fire of­fi­cials are call­ing a flash fire in an apart­ment Sat­ur­day morn­ing.

Deputy Fire Mar­shal Joe Bois­seau said the fire oc­curred around 11 a.m. Sat­ur­day in the 1200 block of the Boule­vard. Bois­seau said the unit that burned was in the midst of a re­model. Upon ar­rival at the scene, fire­fight­ers saw no blaze in the sin­gle-story build­ing, but found two peo­ple who were in­side one of the apart­ments when the fire hap­pened. The apart­ment was be­ing re­mod­eled, and Bois­seau said gaso­line had been used as a strip­per to re­place the floor­ing. An elec­tri­cal spark in­side the apart­ment ap­par­ently ig­nited the gaso­line va­pors, trig­ger­ing the flash fire. Bois­seau said one of the vic­tims was taken to VCU Health Cen­ter in Rich­mond, and at last re­port was in crit­i­cal con­di­tion. The sec­ond vic­tim was treated for burns at the scene.

No other units were af­fected. The burned unit sys­tained about $5,000 in dam­age, Bois­seau said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.