Hatfield man heads to trial for alleged assault on son
A 55-year-old Hatfield Borough man is headed for trial for allegedly assaulting his 13-yearold son in May, although he no longer faces the two most serious charges originally filed against him.
John Frank Gamble, of the first block of Roosevelt Avenue, had first-degree felony counts of aggravated assault and strangulation dismissed by Lansdale Judge Edward Levine at the culmination of a preliminary hearing at which Levine held for trial second-degree misdemeanor counts of simple assault and reckless endangerment as well as summary counts of harassment and public drunkenness, records indicate.
Cops responded to Gamble’s residence around 10 p.m. on May 13 after the boy’s mother called police to report that Gamble, who she said was intoxicated and had broken a number of items in the home, had assaulted his son, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
The woman told police that Gamble had been drinking alcohol since that morning and “went after” his son for no reason, chasing the boy into his bedroom and wrapping his arms around his son’s head to the point where the child could not breathe, the affidavit states.
The woman said she had to pull Gamble off of his son, according to the affidavit.
The boy, who had cuts to his neck, chest and upper lip, told police that he sustained the injuries after his father attacked him, and said that during the assault he could not breathe for approximately seven to eight seconds, according to court documents.
Cops said Gamble showed several signs of alcohol intoxication, and they observed broken glass throughout the home, as well as a shattered hamster enclosure and smashed picture frames.
Gamble is free on $25,000 bond while awaiting his next appearance in Montgomery County court, scheduled for Oct. 3.