Trailer destroyed by fire
Man not home; believed to be accidental
SAINT CLAIR — A man whose nephew died in a violent crash in Wayne Township on Thursday lost the trailer he called home to fire just over 24 hours later.
Saint Clair firefighters were called to the area of Wade Road and Chestnut Street about 6:35 a.m. and found the 24-foot trailer engulfed in flames.
Jack Long, who lives in the trailer, said the vehicle is located adjacent to a property at 1204 Wade Road.
Long, whose nephew William Long, 26, of Pottsville, died about 6 a.m. Thursday along Route 443 near Friedensburg, said he left the trailer early Friday morning, about 5:30 a.m., to go to work.
Long said there wasn’t electricity in the trailer, so he used generators for electricity but they were turned off.
“This was my home. It was peaceful here,” Long said.
The man said he on his way to work as a groundskeeper at nearby Mountain Valley Golf Course when the fire broke out.
“I wanted to go in early and get an advance so I could buy a suit for my nephew’s funeral,” Long said.
Long said the only reason he could think a fire would start is a candle that he burns inside the trailer when he is home.
Although he was sure he extinguished the candle before leaving, Long said maybe it caught something inside on fire.
Saint Clair Fire Chief Frank Uhrin said firefighters were on scene shortly after being dispatched and extinguished the fire in about 20 minutes.
After speaking with Long and investigating the scene, Uhrin said he determined the fire to be accidental.
He said no injuries were reported.
The charred skeleton is all that remains of a trailer that burned Friday in New Castle Township.