Mount downs Kennett

Magic ad­vance to quar­ter­fi­nals

The Review - - Sports - By Ed Mor­lock emor­lock@21st-cen­tu­ry­ @emor09 on Twit­ter

CON­SHOHOCKEN » When the Mount Saint Joseph Acad­emy field hockey team scored against Kennett last Wed­nes­day af­ter­noon, it quickly added a sec­ond goal.

Scor­ing in bunches — com­bined with a dom­i­nant de­fen­sive ef­fort — led the No. 2 seeded Magic to a 5-0 win over the No. 15 Blue Demons in the sec­ond round of the District 1 Class 2A play­offs at The Prov­ing Grounds in Con­shohocken.

The Mount ad­vanced to the quar­ter­fi­nals Fri­day.

Grace Wal­lis got the Magic on the board 11 min­utes into the game. Af­ter a cor­ner bounced around in front of the cage, MK Ste­fanow­icz passed to Wal­lis, who car­ried to the right side of the cage and ripped a slap­shot to make it a 1-0 game.

“This year in par­tic­u­lar we’ve been re­ally strong on our cor­ners and have a pretty good per­cent­age of success rate on those,” Wal­lis said. “We’re very con­fi­dent.”

Sixty-seven sec­onds later, the Mount dou­bled its lead. On an­other cor­ner, Wal­lis found El­lie Maran­sky to the left of the goalie and Maran­sky de­flected the ball into the back of the cage.

“We’ve been strug­gling this sea­son with our of­fense,” Mount coach Mary Beth Ste­fanow­icz said. “We have a young of­fense— a lot of fresh­man have been play­ing on the of­fense. It’s all com­ing to­gether to­wards the end, which is what you want. This was a re­ally good game for us.

“We’ve had some re­ally tough com­pe­ti­tion. Last week we had three games — CB South, Coun­cil Rock North and a Me­rion (Mercy) game. We were able to pull all three out. Con­fi­dence has been build­ing. I think they worked re­ally well to­gether, they’re cov­er­ing for each other, back­ing each other up. We have de­fen­sive play­ers that will break through and mid­field will come back and cover. They’re work­ing re­ally well to­gether. It’s all com­ing to­gether at the end of the sea­son.”

The lead was ex­tended to 3-0 with 7:32 left in the first half. MK Ste­fanow­icz took a penalty shot and beat Kennett’s keeper with a shot el­e­vated to the left side.

In the sec­ond half, Maran­sky scored her sec­ond goal to make it 4-0.

Thirty- three sec­onds later, Wal­lis scored her sec--

ond goal to put the fin­ish­ing touches on a 5-0 win. Wal­lis raced down the left side of the field with the ball, cut to the mid­dle and shot it home.

While the of­fense was scor­ing, goal­keeper Maeve McCarthy wasn’t get­ting much ac­tion. Al­most the en­tire game was played in Kennett’s end and the Blue Demons were never able to put a shot on net.

“Our mid­field did a re- ally good job of keep­ing the ball up in our at­tack­ing 50,” Wal­lis said. “They re­ally made sure to keep push­ing up.”

“(Mount’s) solid pres­sure (made it dif­fi­cult to get the of­fense go­ing),” Kennett coach Meghan Shumway said. “Their ag­gres­sive na- ture. They step to the ball and we let it get off our sticks just a lit­tle bit and they were able to snatch it up right away.”

Kennett’s goalie Claire Bor­man made 16 saves in the game.

The loss brings an end to Kennett’s sea­son. The Blue Demons fin­ished the reg­u­lar sea­son with a 6-11-1 record and won their firstround play­off game.

“It was the first time in well over a decade we’ve gone this far,” Shumway said. “That was ex­cit­ing. There was def­i­nitely im­prove­ment through­out the sea­son and that makes it a success for sure.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.