Tips for pro­tect­ing your­self from scams:

The Signal - - NEWS -

Con­tact your in­sur­ance com­pany ad­juster first and get a writ­ten es­ti­mate of the dam­age costs. If you dis­agree with the amount, you can hire a pub­lic ad­juster for a sec­ond es­ti­mate.

Pub­lic ad­justers must be li­censed and bonded. You can ver­ify their li­cense sta­tus with the Cal­i­for­nia Depart­ment of In­sur­ance at (800) 967-9331 or in­sur­­cense-sta­tus/.

If you hire a pub­lic ad­juster, ask for a writ­ten agree­ment and make sure you un­der­stand all of the ad­juster’s fees be­fore sign­ing it.

Re­port pub­lic ad­juster scams to the District At­tor­ney’s Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion Divi­sion at (213) 257-2450.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.