Italy returns 17th century tombstone to Iran
ROME — Italy has returned to Iran a 17th century tombstone, featuring Arabic and Farsi inscriptions, that police found abandoned near a cemetery outside Rome.
Italy’s carabinieri art squad organized a handover ceremony Monday to deliver the tombstone to Iranian Ambassador Jahanbakhsh Mozaffari. Italy has been on a decadeslong campaign to recover priceless artifacts that were looted from Italy and ended up in top-end museums and private collections around the globe. Police said the return of the tombstone was “evidence of the im- portance that Italy places on the culture of restitution.”
Police didn’t estimate the value of the tombstone, or explain how it was believed to have arrived in Italy. A statement said only that it had been abandoned near the Ferentino cemetery near Frosinone and was found in August 2015.