Asking some questions about the American president
Would you want your daughter or sister to marry a man with any or all of the following qualities? Would you hire him to be your employee? Would you want him as a friend?
Narcissistic Personality Disorder: Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence lies a fragile self-esteem that’s vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
People with narcissistic personality disorder may be generally unhappy and disappointed when they’re not given the special favors or admiration they believe they deserve. They may find their relationships unfulfilling, and others may not enjoy being around them. Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder and the severity of symptoms vary. People with the disorder can:
• Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance.
• Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration.
• Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it.
• Exaggerate achievements and talents.
• Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate.
• Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people.
• Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior.
• Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations.
• Take advantage of others to get what they want.
• Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others.
• Be envious of others and believe others envy them.
• Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious.
• Insist on having the best of everything, for instance, the best car or office.
Pathological Liar: A pathological liar is somebody who lies without effort, someone for whom telling a lie comes more naturally than telling the truth. It can become a part of the liar’s everyday life to the point where that whole existence is a fabrication.
Some pathological liars are “functionally delusional,” meaning they believe their own lies and can even pass a lie detector test. If they are caught in the lie, they can re-write their memories to believe a new lie on the spot.
A perfect example is the president, who, according to the has lied or stretched the truth over 5,000 times since taking office. Query whether he is functionally delusional.
Amoral: Lacking a moral sense, unconcerned with the rightness or wrongness of something.
Racist: Believes in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity.
Bully: a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker.
Vulgar: Lacking sophistication or good taste, unrefined, rude, indecent, offensive, distasteful, coarse, crude.
Why do people, most of whom acknowledge the president’s evident narcissism, dishonesty, vulgarity and racism, continue to vote for and support him?
Why does the president do everything he can to upset the international order, the worst example being his withdrawal from the Paris Agreement to combat climate change, this at a time our planet may have already passed the tipping point? Why does he insult our traditional allies and toady to dictators such as Mr. Putin?
The president is unbalanced and mentally and emotionally unhealthy. He doesn’t want to be the biggest dog in the yard. He wants to be the only dog there, excepting perhaps Mr. Putin, whom he dearly wants to be his pal.
He is ill-informed and dangerous to the USA and to the international order. He is as unqualified as anyone who has ever held the office. Because the self-interested, Republican-controlled Congress has to date been servile, and often sycophantic, to him and unwilling to reign him in, the best hope America has for damage control at this time is to vote Democratic in the upcoming Congressional and gubernatorial elections.
Make no mistake about it: this election is a referendum on the president and others who share his thinking. Every vote counts! Please vote.