hind the school record he set as a freshman last year. Sowers’ 48 assists so far in 2018 ties a program singleseason record.
• Gwynedd Mercy women’s track and field’s Rainah Dunham (Phoenixville/ Methacton) set a new school record in the heptathlon while the Griffins’ Sara Gray (Southampton/ William) tied a school record in the high jump Saturday at the Messiah Multi and Invitational.
Dunham finished with 3,979 points to take second in the pentathlon — getting personal records in the 100 meters (15.68), 200 meters (26.73) and the javelin (27.15)
Gray placed second in the high jump with a personal best and ECAC-qualifying mark of 1.58 meters.
• Bloomsburg baseball’s Cole Swiger (Maple Glen/ Upper Dublin) sent the first pitch he saw in the bottom of the eighth inning over the left field fence for a walk-off grand slam and a 10-6 victory over Mansfield in the first game of their doubleheader last Saturday.
Swiger finished the game 2-for-4 with four RBIs and three runs scored while Colton Hooker (Warrington/Upper Moreland) went 1-for-2 with a run scored for the Huskies.
Swiger hit another home run in the day’s second game — a two-run blast in the second inning — and was 2-for-4 with two RBIs and a runs scored as Bloomsburg earned a 9-0 win. Hooker was 1-for-3 with a triple and a run scored.
• Ball State men’s volleyball’s Ben Chinnici (Sellersville/Pennridge) was named to the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association (MIVA) All-Freshmen Team. In 72 sets for the Cardinals this season, Chinnici has collected 155 kills — an average of 2.15 per set — 31 total blocks, 104 digs, eight aces and eight assists.
• Amber Lambeth (Harleysville/Souderton) had a pair of assists while Jackie Cerchio (Audubon/Methacton) and Jen Rodzewich (Hilltown/Pennridge) each collected a goal and an assist as the Temple women’s lacrosse team outscored Butler 10-1 in the second half to claim an 18-5 Big East victory last Saturday.
• Jefferson University softball’s Erin Maher (Lansdale/North Penn) and Jovanna Alfonsi (Hatfield/ North Penn) both collected a three-hit game as the Rams earned a doubleheader sweep of Nyack last Saturday.
In the 11-0 five-inning victory in the opening game, Maher finished 3-for-3 with a double, RBI and two runs scored wile Alfonsi had two RBIs and a run scored. Alfonsi then finished 3-for-4 with an RBI with Maher collecting an RBI and a run scored as the Rams picked up an 8-4 victory in Game 2.
• Jackie Bilotti (North Wales/North Penn) went 3-for-5 with a double, two RBIs and two run scored as the Arcadia softball team earned a doubleheader split with Lycoming last Saturday with a 13-2 victory in the teams’ second game.
• Jared Melone (North Wales/North Penn) went 7-for-7 last Saturday as the West Chester baseball team claimed a doubleheader sweep of Millersville last Saturday. Melone was 3-for-3 with an RBI as the Golden Rams won the opening game 9-5 with the junior going 4-for-4 with three RBIs and a run scored in a 9-7 victory in Game 2.
Justin Horn (Willow Grove/Upper Dublin) added a pair of hits for WCU in the two wins. Horn went 1-3 and scored twice in Game 1 then was 1-for-3 with a run scored in the second contest.
• Lehigh baseball’s Blake Rapoport (Ambler/Wissahickon) broke a 4-4 tie in the bottom of the eighth inning with an RBI single, scored on a wild pitch while Chris Kersey (North Wales/North Penn) tacked on a third run in the frame with a two-out RBI single as the Mountain Hawks topped Navy 7-4 in the second game of a doubleheader last Saturday.
Kersey collected his second five-hit game of the season in the victory, finishing 5-for-6 with two RBIs and a run scored. Rapoport was 2-for-4 with an RBI and two run scored.
• Gwynedd Mercy softball’s Alyssa Morales (Schwenksville/Perkiomen Valley) went 2-3 with four RBI and also earned a complete game victory in the circle as the Griffins bested Neumann 6-4 in Game 2 of their doubleheader last Saturday.
Becki Christoffers (Lansdale/North Penn) finished 2-for-4 with a double and two runs scored for Gwynedd.
In the opening game — an 18-4 Neumann win — Morales went 2-for-3 with an RBI and run scored while Christoffers was 1-for-2 and scored twice.
• Saint Joseph’s women’s track and field’s Caroline Duffy (Collegeville/Methacton) was on the Hawks’ 4x100 relay that finished first place at the Rider Invitational last Saturday with an ECAC-qualifying time of 47.52 — less than second off the school record. Saint Joseph’s finished third as a team at the meet with 65.5 points.
• Kutztown men’s track and field’s Ryan Benner (Sellersville/Pennridge) won his 100-meter dash heat with a season-best and PSAC qualifying time of 11.15 seconds as he finished 14th overall at the Bison Outdoor Classic Sunday at Bucknell University.
• Sara Keeny (Warminster/William Tennent) went 4-for-9 with an RBI, a run scored and a stolen base as the Kutztown softball team split a doubleheader with East Stroudsburg last Friday. Keeny was 2-for-5 with a double and an RBI as the Golden Bear won the opening matchup 8-6 then went 2-for-4 with a run and a stole base in an 8-6 loss in Game 2. Angie Carty (Harleysville/Souderton) added a stolen base and a run for KU in the second game.
• Lehigh women’s track and field freshman Miranda Royds (Ambler/HatboroHorsham) cut nearly 12 seconds off her personal record in the steeplechase, finishing in a time of 11:09.44 to place seventh at the Bison Outdoor Classic last Saturday.
• Virginia baseball’s Alex Tappen (Lower Gwynedd/ Wissahickon) went 2-for-4 with an RBI as Cavaliers fell 8-6 to North Carolina in the first game of a doubleheader last Saturday.