Washington Avenue buildings have gone through many changes in
past 100 years. The Post Office was replaced with the current building in 1930. The Liberty Building and Prendergast Building continued to house tenants, including the Red Cross Knitting and Sewing Rooms during World War II. Both were demolished to make way for a short-lived Hilton Hotel in the 1970s, which was demolished to build the Park Plaza office building in the 1980s. The space was remade in the late 1990s by architect Peter Bohlin, who designed the current William J. Nealon Federal Courthouse.