Rams top Hor­nets af­ter game moved to Vets Park

The Trentonian (Trenton, NJ) - - SPORTS - By Red Birch rbirch@21st-cen­tu­ry­media.com @Tren­to­ni­anRed on Twit­ter

HAMIL­TON » The Hight­stown and Hamil­ton High var­sity boys soc­cer teams had a predica­ment Satur­day.

Twenty-nine min­utes into their game, right af­ter the first goal had been scored, the teams had to leave.

Yes, they had to va­cate Hamil­ton West’s Carl “Ace” Ab­bott Soc­cer Com­plex af­ter a col­li­sion with one net on the goal snapped a post in two dif­fer­ent places, leav­ing it un­us­able.

It was not an eas­ily fix­able prob­lem, and there were no backup nets.

So the teams and of­fi­cials then took about a half hour to fig­ure out if they could move the game.

As luck would have it, both squads were able to get buses, and, with the help of Hamil­ton ath­letic di­rec­tor John Costantino and Hamil­ton Town­ship di­rec­tor of the Depart­ment of Health, Re­cre­ation, Se­nior & Vet­er­ans Ser­vices Jeff Plun­kett, the game was re­lo­cated to Al Cow­ell Field in Vet­er­ans Park.

About an hour later, the Rams and Hor­nets were play­ing again. About an hour af­ter that, Hight­stown came away with a 3-0 win.

“If that first goal hadn’t counted, I would have been a lit­tle up­set,” Rams se­nior out­side back Ian Lumkong said. “When we changed fields, we saw that this (Cow­ell) field is a lot wider, so we had to do a bet­ter job of pos­sess­ing it.”

For Lumkong, the change just meant a lit­tle more run­ning, which is noth­ing new to him since he is usu­ally all over the field de­spite his de­fen­sive po­si­tion.

He pushed for­ward to re­ceive a pass from class­mate Daniel To­bito to chip a shot over Hamil­ton goal­keeper Giuseppe Scordato with 11:28 left in the first half ahead of the bro­ken post.

When play re­sumed, both teams used the space to spread the op­pos­ing de­fenses.

Only Hight­stown was able to cap­i­tal­ize when Lumkong moved up again with 30 sec­onds left in the half. This time, he headed home a cor­ner kick from se­nior Kenny Castillo to give the Rams a lit­tle breath­ing room en route to their fourth con­sec­u­tive win.

“We’re a pretty tight group,” Lumkong said. “A lot of us have been play­ing to­gether since we were in ele­men­tary school.”

The co­he­sive­ness showed as head coach Ge­orge Wolkiewicz’ charges lim­ited the Hor­nets’ chances even af­ter they switched fields. But head coach Chris Mo­rales’ squad was not about to use the change of scenery as an ex­cuse.

“A field is a field,” Hamil­ton se­nior full­back Manny Arevalo said. “At the end of the day, soc­cer is a field, a ball and two goals. You’ve just got to put it in be­tween. They did a bet­ter job of that than we did.”

When the Hor­nets be­gan to show life at the other end in the fi­nal 30 min­utes, Hight­stown put the game away when Chris­tian Gar­cia headed in a free kick from Al­lan Gomez with 24:06 to play.

“Ev­ery team has to deal with losses,” Arevalo said. “We have to pick our­selves up and go from there.”

Get­ting their goal post fixed will help re­move some of those predica­ments.

Hight­stown (4-1) 2 1 — 3

Hamil­ton (2-2) 0 0 — 0

Goals: Lumkong 2, Gar­cia (Hi); As­sists: To­bito, Castillo, Gomez (Hi).

Shots: 9 (Hi), 3 (Ha); Saves: Con­nolly 1, Buri 1 (Hi), Scordato 6 (Ha).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.