Forces repel attacks by Islamic State
Government forces and Shiite militiamen repelled two Islamic State group attacks in Anbar province on Saturday, officials said.
Police and military officials said Islamic State fighters attacked the government-held town of Husseiba with heavy mortar fire early Saturday. They said the attackers retreated after an hours-long battle, leaving behind three destroyed vehicles and five dead fighters. At least 10 troops and militiamen were wounded.
Iraqi forces took Husseiba, near the militant-held provincial capital of Ramadi, from the Islamic State last month.
The officials said that elsewhere in Anbar province, Iraqi troops using Russian anti-tank Kornet missiles destroyed four incoming suicide car bombs during an Islamic State attack in the Tharthar area.