At Nats Park, candidates for Wookie of the Year
Sunday figures to be one of the more memorable days in Nationals Park’s brief history. There will be amatchup of two National League favorites, firstplace teams (and possible playoff opponents) in the Nationals and Dodgers. There will be a showdown between world-class, all-star pitchers in Zack Greinke and Max Scherzer. There will be a sellout or near-sellout crowd.
And there also will be thousands of adults and children in Star Wars costumes, celebrating the team’s first Star Wars Day.
What should you expect from the Star Wars portion of the afternoon? A brief summary:
• Lots of costumes. There will be more than 60 paid performers in Star Wars get-ups. They will rove the concourse, interact with fans, perform on the field and staff a variety of activity stations. Some stations will involve interactive games, while others will allow for photographs. There also will be a lightsaber battle on the field and various demonstrations.
• Fans are encouraged to dress in costume, but adults will not be allowed to wear masks while walking around the stadium. They will, however, be allowed to wear masks in their seats. Children under the age of 10 can wear masks when accompanied by an adult. Also, any props resembling weapons — including toy guns and lightsabers — will not be allowed into the park, although the professionals will have such props.
• The Racing Presidents will have special Star Wars-themed costumes as well. Expect Thomas Jefferson to pay tribute to Princess Leia. I can’t even imagine what the Sage of Monticello would have thought if he were told that 190 years after his death, a large likeness of him would run around the warning track of a baseball stadium while dressed as an intergalactic princess. The music and in-game entertainment will also be Star Wars themed.
• There also will be lots of Star Wars-themed concessions. Some will be regular items with a new name, and some will be new or altered items. Among the offerings: Luke Fry walker Cheese Fries, Planet Hoth Shaved Ice, Boba Fett Hot Dogs (featuring red yellow and green peppers), Cloud City Cotton Candy, R2-D2 frozen drinks and Jawa Juice cocktails.
• You might want to be particularly patient at the metal detectors. In addition to the massive crowd, and the giveaway item (25,000 R2-D2 koozies), you might also expect it will take a bit more time to screen several thousand folks dressed like droids or whatever.