Infant suffers methadone overdose
A 1-year-old infant who showed symptoms of poisoning was determined to be suffering from an overdose of methadone, the Calvert County sheriff’s office said.
They said the child, who had been under a grandmother’s care at her home in the county, was taken to Calvert Memorial Hospital on Thursday after his mother picked him up.
He was later transferred to MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, the sheriff’s office said. Methadone is an opioid medication. The child, who was not identified, was listed in critical condition, the sheriff’s office said. The sheriff’s office said the grandmother was charged with child abuse and distribution of a controlled dangerous substance.