Hoverboard sparked deadly fire, officials say
A fire that killed a toddler appears to have been sparked by a recharging hoverboard, authorities said Saturday.
Fire officials in Harrisburg, Pa., said one victim jumped from a second-floor roof to escape the blaze, which was reported about 8 p.m. Friday.
Three other people were rescued by ladder.
The Lehigh County coroner’s office said Ashanti Hughes, 3, was pronounced dead about 11:30 a.m. Saturday at a hospital. Two girls remain hospitalized in critical condition. A man and a teenage male were treated and released.
Fire Lt. Dennis DeVoe was driving to the station before heading to the scene when his vehicle was hit, Fire Chief Brian Enterline said. DeVoe was reported in critical condition. The driver of the other vehicle was arrested on assault and other charges.
The fire was ruled accidental and attributed to a hoverboard plugged in to recharge on the first floor, Enterline said.