2 Metro workers face disciplinary action
Metro officials will seek disciplinary action against two employees who took an unauthorized contractor onto Yellow Line tracks near the Eisenhower Avenue station last week and failed to follow safety protocol, causing a near miss incident when an oncoming train barreled in their direction.
“There were procedures that were not followed, and that’s what we’re addressing,” Patrick Lavin, Metro’s chief safety officer, said Thursday at a board safety committee meeting.
The incident came less than a month after the Federal Transit Administration demanded answers from Metro on how it intended to improve protections for track workers at risk of being hit by passing trains.
Because of the May 18 near miss — along with another incident Wednesday in which a train operator broke the speed limit in a work zone by 15 mph — federal officials remain concerned that significant risks remain on Metro’s tracks.
Carol Carmody, chair of the Metro board safety committee, said she spoke with FTA officials Wednesday about the two incidents. She said officials had been satisfied with Metro’s written response on how they planned to address roadway worker protection — until last week’s incident. But, she added, “how do you account for this continuing problem? It’s a dilemma for all of us.”