Nu­clear test site to be dis­man­tled this month

The Washington Post Sunday - - THE WORLD -

North Korea says it will dis­man­tle its nu­clear test site in less than two weeks, in an event pre­lud­ing leader Kim Jong Un’s sum­mit with Pres­i­dent Trump next month.

In a state­ment car­ried by state me­dia, North Korea’s For­eign Min­istry said that all of the tun­nels at the coun­try’s north­east­ern test­ing ground will be de­stroyed by ex­plo­sion, and that ob­ser­va­tion and re­search fa­cil­i­ties and ground-based guard units will be re­moved.

“A cer­e­mony for dis­man­tling the nu­clear test ground is now sched­uled be­tween May 23 and 25,” de­pend­ing on the weather, the For­eign Min­istry’s state­ment said.

Kim had al­ready re­vealed plans to shut down the test site dur­ing his sum­mit with South Korean Pres­i­dent Moon Jae-in last month. An­a­lysts say that although the clo­sure of the site is im­por­tant, it doesn’t rep­re­sent a ma­te­rial step to­ward full de­nu­cle­ariza­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.