Car­bon monox­ide poi­son­ing sus­pected in Rockville death

The Washington Post Sunday - - LOCAL OPINIONS - MARY­LAND BY MARTIN WEIL martin.weil@wash­post.com

One per­son was found dead of ap­par­ent car­bon monox­ide poi­son­ing Fri­day night at a house in Rockville, author­i­ties said.

A se­cond per­son, whose con­di­tion did not ap­pear to be lifethreat­en­ing, was taken from the house to a hospi­tal, said Pete Piringer, a spokesman for the Mont­gomery County fire and res­cue ser­vice.

Res­cue per­son­nel were sent to the house in the 300 block of Lawrence Drive after a med­i­cal emer­gency was re­ported there, Piringer said.

As soon as res­cue per­son­nel en­tered, he said, a car­bon monox­ide de­tec­tor they car­ried is­sued an alert, he said.

Piringer said it in­di­cated that an ex­tremely high level of the gas was present, cre­at­ing a haz­ard. The level might have been above 2,000 parts per mil­lion, he said.

Car­bon monox­ide is col­or­less and odor­less, and re­sults from the in­com­plete com­bus­tion of fuel.

Piringer said author­i­ties thought that the car­bon monox­ide had been pro­duced by a gen­er­a­tor that was op­er­at­ing in the house.

It was not clear why the gen­er­a­tor was be­ing used in­doors.

The name of the per­son who died was not im­me­di­ately avail­able Satur­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.