100,000 civilians reportedly displaced
A South Sudanese government offensive in the Jonglei region has displaced roughly 100,000 civilians, the United Nations said Thursday.
A report from the U.N. office of humanitarian affairs said fighting in the Waat and Walgak areas last week caused scores of thousands of civilians and 60 aid workers to flee.
The United Nations warned that the government offensive could exacerbate food insecurity in the region, where some areas are on the brink of famine. Food drops in one area have been suspended because of the fighting, the agency said.