Tiger Woods will miss another six months following back surgery.
Less than a week after one of Tiger Woods’s friends put golf fans on high alert, noting that the 14-time major champion was eyeing a return at the U.S. Open, news broke that Woods underwent yet another surgery on his back. He is expected to be out at least six months.
This is at least the fourth surgery Woods, 41, has had on his back. Woods previously underwent two microdisectomies to relieve pressure on a pinched nerve, first in March 2014 and again in September 2015. In October 2015, he said he had an additional, unspecified procedure done as a follow-up.
The pain, however, caused by a “severely narrowed” lower-back disc that led to sciatica, a nerve condition that causes pain in the lower back and through the legs, never fully went away.
“Conservative therapy, which included rehabilitation, medications, limiting activities and injections, failed as a permanent solution,” a statement posted to Woods’s website said.
This led to Woods opting for another surgery called an Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion, during which orthopedic surgeon Richard Guyer of the Center for Disc Replacement at the Texas Back Institute removed the damaged disc to allow two other vertebrae to essentially fuse together to heal as one solid bone.
“If you are going to have single-level fusion, the bottom level is the best place for it to occur,” Guyer said in the statement that deemed the surgery “successful.”
Woods has not played competitively since Feb. 3, when he withdrew from the Dubai Desert Classic because of his back. Excerpted from washingtonpost.com/ earlylead