2 men charged in Shaw shoot­ing that in­jured 2


D.C. po­lice have charged two men in a Thurs­day af­ter­noon shoot­ing that in­jured two peo­ple out­side an apart­ment com­plex in the Shaw neigh­bor­hood. Po­lice de­scribed a de­struc­tive scene in a crowded court­yard, with bul­lets strik­ing ve­hi­cles and the win­dows of homes.

The vic­tims, both men, were re­cov­er­ing at a hos­pi­tal Friday. One man was shot in the arm, po­lice said. The other was shot in the back and is listed in crit­i­cal con­di­tion. The shoot­ing oc­curred about 4:50 p.m.

An­toine Woods, 25, of North­east, and An­thony Ty­rone Sparks, 27, of South­east, were each charged with as­sault with in­tent to kill.

Po­lice have not dis­closed a pos­si­ble mo­tive but said they are in­ves­ti­gat­ing whether the in­ci­dent is linked to an­other shoot­ing Wed­nes­day night about a half-mile away on M Street North­west in Sur­sum Corda, a pub­lic hous­ing com­plex near New York Av­enue and North Capi­tol Street. Three peo­ple were shot about 9:15 p.m., in­clud­ing a woman who, po­lice said Friday, has died. She was iden­ti­fied as Danielle Wil­liams, 29, of North­west.

The his­tory of vi­o­lence in the area is long, with neigh­bor­hood crews from Sur­sum Corda of­ten feud­ing with crews across New York Av­enue in Trux­ton Cir­cle. Sep­a­rately, groups in Shaw, such as the Eighth and R streets and the Sev­enth and O streets crews, have bat­tled it out.

Au­thor­i­ties have not said whether the most re­cent shoot­ings Wed­nes­day and Thurs­day are re­lated to past vi­o­lence. Po­lice said the sus­pects in Thurs­day’s in­ci­dent were ar­rested in a Saturn Ion when it crashed a few blocks north of the shoot­ing scene in the 400 block of N Street NW, two blocks from Dunbar High School and on the bor­der with Trux­ton Cir­cle. Po­lice ar­rested the sus­pects af­ter a man­hunt and chase through the neigh­bor­hood; one man was found hid­ing on a rooftop.

The Thurs­day af­ter­noon shoot­ing oc­curred shortly af­ter stu­dents at Dunbar had left for the day and shortly be­fore fans streamed into the high school cam­pus to watch a foot­ball game. Po­lice noted there were many chil­dren in the court­yard when the gun­fire erupted, and D.C. Po­lice Chief Peter New­sham, who toured the scene, said res­i­dents he talked to were co­op­er­a­tive as they, too, “are sick and tired” of the vi­o­lence.

Po­lice said at least 20 shots were fired. A po­lice re­port says three ve­hi­cles were struck and the front win­dows of six houses, three on the south side of N Street, had win­dows dam­aged, mean­ing bul­lets flew across a two-lane street.

The po­lice re­port says three guns were re­cov­ered from the court­yard — a Smith & Wes­son, a Glock and a Beretta. At least one had an ex­tended mag­a­zine, po­lice said.

Thurs­day’s shoot­ing was a half-mile from where eight peo­ple were shot, one fa­tally, in May on Q Street in Shaw. More than 40 bul­lets were fired, and po­lice ar­rested a sus­pect but have not di­vulged a pos­si­ble mo­tive. That was one of three sep­a­rate shoot­ing at­tacks in the neigh­bor­hood in a mat­ter of days that caused com­mu­nity con­cern and prompted New­sham to tour the streets to talk with wor­ried res­i­dents.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.