Slaying suspect deported by judge six years ago
SAN FRANCISCO | The suspect in last week’s slayings of five people in San Francisco had been ordered to be deported by an immigration judge six years ago, after he served a prison sentence for armed robbery, federal officials said Monday.
But they said he remained in the U.S. because the Vietnamese government declined to provide the travel documents that immigration authorities needed to process his removal.
Suspect Binh Thai Luc, 35, a Vietnamese citizen, was contacted by ICE agents while he was serving his sentence for robbery and assault with a deadly weapon at San Quentin State Prison.
After he was ordered to be deported, the agency sought the official documents it needed to return him to Vietnam, but never got them, said Gillian Christensen, ICE’S deputy press secretary.
U.S. law establishes that all aliens who face a deportation order can’t be held for more than 180 days. After that, if they can’t be removed from the country within the reasonably foreseeable future, ICE has to release them, she said.