Boko Haram blamed for killing retired prison guards Nelson Mandela’s life now online
MAIDUGURI | Gunmen suspected of being from a radical Islamist sect killed two retired prison officers in northeastern Nigeria, an official said this week.
The two men were killed Monday evening while preparing to pray in Maiduguri, where the sect known as Boko Haram once had its main mosque.
A security officer said one of the men was the father of a Boko Haram suspect arrested earlier this year on suspicion of being a spokesman for the sect. The official spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to release the information.
Meanwhile, a military spokesman said Tuesday that soldiers killed two suspected Boko Haram gunmen over the weekend. Witnesses say a shooting at a Maiduguri market Tuesday carried out by suspected sect gunmen left some people injured.
Boko Haram has been waging an increasingly violent campaign
JOHANNESBURG | Click: South Africa’s last white president speaks about his friendship with Nelson Mandela.
Click: Mr. Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, two antiapartheid icons, pose with Bishop Tutu’s grandchildren.
Click: Mr. Mandela offers a self-deprecating memory in a handwritten note.
At a news conference in Johannesburg Tuesday, Mr. Mandela’s archivists and Google said their $1.25 million project to digitally preserve a record of the anti-apartheid leader’s life is now online. The project was announced a year ago.
Researchers and all others around the world now have access to hundreds of documents, photographs and videos. The archive has been launched with more than 1,900 entries, and more are being added.
“The Mandela Digital Archive Project shows how the Internet can help preserve historical heritage and make it available to the world,” Steve