Ho­tel car­bon monox­ide leak kills child, sick­ens oth­ers

The Washington Times Daily - - NATION -

NILES | Authorities in south­west­ern Michi­gan have iden­ti­fied a 13-year-old boy who died after a car­bon monox­ide leak in a ho­tel pool area that also sick­ened about a dozen peo­ple.

Em­ploy­ees at the Qual­ity Inn & Suites in Niles called 911 around 10 a.m. Satur­day after see­ing six un­re­spon­sive chil­dren on the pool deck. Po­lice say a sev­enth child was found un­re­spon­sive in a first-floor room.

Po­lice Chief Jim Millin says Bryan Dou­glas Watts of Niles was pro­nounced dead at a nearby hos­pi­tal. Millin says re­spond­ing of­fi­cers ad­min­is­tered chest com­pres­sions to some chil­dren and helped get the af­fected kids into await­ing am­bu­lances.

Two re­spond­ing of­fi­cers were treated for car­bon monox­ide ex­po­sure and re­leased from the hos­pi­tal.

Niles Fire Capt. Don Wise says the leak was caused by a mal­func­tion­ing vent pipe from the pool heater.

Choice Ho­tels, which owns Qual­ity Inn, said in a state­ment that its thoughts were with the af­fected fam­i­lies, and that this “iso­lated in­ci­dent” oc­curred at an in­de­pen­dently-owned fran­chise.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.