Twitter drops lawsuit after feds withdraw summons
Twitter dropped its lawsuit against the Trump administration Friday after the federal government abandoned its effort to compel the social network to divulge information about an antiTrump account.
Twitter had sued the Trump administration on Thursday in response to its previously unreported attempt to learn details about @ALT_USCIS, an account purportedly run by a current employee of Citizenship and Immigration Services, the company said in a court filing Friday. It dropped its case a day after the federal government withdrew its request.
The Justice Department told Twitter on Friday that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) had withdrawn its March 13 summons, “and that the summons no longer has any force or effect.”
“Because the summons has now been withdrawn, Twitter voluntary dismisses without prejudice all claims against Defendants,” an attorney for the company wrote Friday.
Twitter disclosed for the first time a day earlier that CBP had issued a summons last month seeking information about @ALT_USCIS, including internet protocol (IP) addresses and other account activity that could potentially reveal the identity of the person or persons who oversee the account — one of several that alleges to provide “alternative” views into Trump administration agencies.