Kel­logg, Henry B.

The Washington Times Daily - - FROM PAGE ONE -

Age 95

Henry Birge Kel­logg died peace­fully on April 6, 2017, at Moun­tain View Com­mu­nity, the nurs­ing home for Car­roll County, New Hamp­shire. Known to fam­ily and friends as Hank, he was 95 years old at his death. He was a di­rect de­scen­dant of the Martin Kel­logg fam­ily of New­ing­ton, Con­necti­cut.

Sur­viv­ing fam­ily mem­bers in­clude his son David Henry Kel­logg and his wife Twila Beth Kel­logg, of Ar­ling­ton, Vir­ginia. David Kel­logg is Chair­man, CEO and Pres­i­dent of Sol­ers, Inc., an in­for­ma­tion tech­nol­ogy so­lu­tions provider and pro­pri­etary trad­ing rm head­quar­tered in Ar­ling­ton, Vir­ginia.

In the years im­me­di­ately be­fore his death, Hank was a res­i­dent of Wolfeboro, New Hamp­shire, where he leaves be­hind his wife of 70 years, Zell Rogers Kel­logg, and his son and daugh­ter-in-law, Ti­mothy Rogers Kel­logg and Mary Agnes Kel­logg.

In ad­di­tion, he is sur­vived by his son Mark Cli ord Kel­logg and spouse Tony Waag, of New York City; as well as eight grand­chil­dren and nine great-grand­chil­dren. He was pre­ceded in death by his daugh­ter Sarah Kel­logg Otis, who died of can­cer in 2008.

His sur­viv­ing grand­chil­dren are Amy Paige Kel­logg, Anne-Marie Denise Kel­logg, Christine Jane Kel­logg, Jade Anna (Otis) Horne, Lara Otis Flint, Martin Je rey Kel­logg, Rachel Jeanne Kel­logg and Stephanie Anne (Kel­logg) McAl­lis­ter.

Sur­viv­ing great-grand­chil­dren are Adrian Michael McAl­lis­ter, Bryce McAl­lis­ter, Caden An­drew McAl­lis­ter, Devin McAl­lis­ter, Eric Otis Horne, Ethan Henry Flint, Kai­ley Anne McAl­lis­ter, Kyle Matthew Kel­logg and Matthew David Horne.

Hank was born on Oc­to­ber 23, 1921, at 264 Everit Street in New Haven, Con­necti­cut, the sec­ond child of Ti­mothy Henry Kel­logg and Rachael Birge Kel­logg. He was pre­ceded in death by both of his par­ents, as well as his older sis­ter, Dorothy, who was born in 1920 and died in an au­to­mo­bile ac­ci­dent in 1946, and his younger sis­ter, Rachael, who was born in 1925 and died in 2007 after fall­ing in her home in New­ing­ton.

The fam­ily moved to 49 North Bea­con Street in Hart­ford, Con­necti­cut, when Hank was a child. He walked to Noah Web­ster School dur­ing his el­e­men­tary years and com­muted by bus and train to sec­ondary school at The Loomis School (now Loomis Cha ee) in Wind­sor, where he grad­u­ated in 1939.

He re­ceived de­grees from Yale Univer­sity (Bach­e­lor of Engi­neer­ing, Class of 1943) and the Univer­sity of Pitts­burgh (Mas­ters of Busi­ness Ad­min­is­tra­tion, Class of 1970). He served dur­ing World War II in the United States Army Air Force as a Weather O cer at Moody Field, Georgia, and Flight Con­troller with the 481st, 437th, 18th and 305th Flight Con­trol Squadrons in Guam, Saipan, Tinian, Ok­i­nawa and Oahu. He sep­a­rated from the Army on Septem­ber 23, 1946, with the rank of Cap­tain, and main­tained a keen in­ter­est in weather ob­ser­va­tion and avi­a­tion through­out his life. He re­ceived an honor­able dis­charge from the Air Force Re­serve in May 1955, fol­low­ing the end of the Korean War.

In De­cem­ber 1943, Hank met his fu­ture wife at a dance at Rollins Col­lege in Win­ter Park, Florida, where she was a stu­dent and he was in mil­i­tary train­ing nearby. They were mar­ried on Au­gust 14, 1946, in Blow­ing Rock, North Car­olina, and be­gan their life to­gether in Tol­land, Con­necti­cut, where their rst child was born.

After re­turn­ing from the war, Hank joined Pratt & Whitney in East Hart­ford, Con­necti­cut, where he worked on devel­op­ment of avi­a­tion gas tur­bines, pop­u­larly known as jet en­gines. He later moved to West­ing­house Elec­tric, where he con­tin­ued to work on devel­op­ment of jet en­gines and, later, on atomic power plants. From 1949 to 1959, he moved his fam­ily from Me­dia, Penn­syl­va­nia to Mis­sion, Kansas; Derby, Eng­land; and Mon­roeville, Penn­syl­va­nia as he changed as­sign­ments with West­ing­house.

Hank re­tired from West­ing­house in 1979 and moved with Zell to Mas­sachusetts, where they lived in An­dover, Mar­ble­head and Chatham un­til 2014. After re­tir­ing from West­ing­house, Hank con­tin­ued to work un­til age 85 at a va­ri­ety of jobs, in­clud­ing teach­ing strength train­ing at the Mar­ble­head YMCA and JCC. In ad­di­tion, he at­tended art classes at the School of the Mu­seum of Fine Arts in Bos­ton and Montser­rat Col­lege of Art in Bev­erly, and was ac­tive in the arts com­mu­nity in Mar­ble­head.

Through­out his long life, Hank en­joyed word games and jokes, in­clud­ing puns and pig Latin at Sun­day dinners, and chal­lenged him­self with phys­i­cal ac­tiv­i­ties such as row­ing and bi­cy­cling. He watched vir­tu­ally no tele­vi­sion, and read al­most ex­clu­sively for in­for­ma­tion rather than plea­sure. At the urg­ing of his Aunt Anna, he sang in the youth choir at the Epis­co­pal Church in Hart­ford, where he re­ceived an award of 25 cents per week. As an adult, Hank at­tended Pres­by­te­rian and Uni­tar­ian churches at var­i­ous times, but re­mained a skep­tic re­gard­ing re­li­gion, pol­i­tics and other im­pon­der­ables. He was fond of the maxim, “Be­lieve noth­ing you hear and only half what you read.” He kept de­tailed note­books for six decades with odome­ter read­ings and gaso­line pur­chases for his cars, and as his mem­ory failed in the last 10 years of his life, he ex­tended his note-tak­ing to other daily ac­tiv­i­ties. De­spite ad­vanc­ing de­men­tia, he con­tin­ued to rec­og­nize vis­i­tors at Moun­tain View and re­called many episodes from his early life in Hart­ford.

Fam­ily mem­bers will gather in late April for a me­mo­rial ser­vice hon­or­ing Hank at the New­ing­ton Con­gre­ga­tional Church, fol­lowed by in­ter­ment of his cre­mated re­mains in the fam­ily plot at Cen­ter Ceme­tery, New­ing­ton, Con­necti­cut. Please sign the Guest­book at­ing­ton­times

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.