Agency disputes Dreamer’s deport claims
Democrats and pro-immigrant groups demanded answers Tuesday after a news report of the first “Dreamer” being deported by President Trump.
USA Today said Juan Manuel Montes, a 23-yearold Mexican who had been brought to the U.S. at age 9 and had twice been approved under President Obama’s deportation amnesty, was deported in February after a run-in with a Customs and Border Protection agent in Calexico, California.
Mr. Montes told the paper that after he was deported, he tried to sneak back into the U.S., climbing over the border fence on a rope. He said agents quickly captured and deported him again.
Speaking to USA Today from Mexico, Mr. Montes said he was deported Feb. 17 after the agent wouldn’t let him get his wallet, where Mr. Montes said he had proof of his status under Mr. Obama’s deportation amnesty.
But CBP’s version of events contradicted Mr. Montes in most respects. The agency, in a statement Tuesday night confirming Mr. Montes was nabbed trying to climb over the border fence, said he lost his amnesty status in August 2015 and was notified. The agency did not mention any renewal.
CBP also said Mr. Montes had been convicted of theft and had been granted probation for the offense. USA Today reported that he also had three convictions of driving without a license.