Carbon monoxide leak sickens 32 people in New York City
NEW YORK | A carbon monoxide leak in a building three blocks from
the World Trade Center sickened 32 people and raised alarm that shuttered several busy blocks in lower Manhattan at the start of the workday Tuesday, authorities said.
The problem ultimately was traced to a broken boiler pipe in a grocery store basement, Fire Chief James Leonard said.
But people started feeling faint around 8:30 a.m. just as a worker opened a package in the basement, stirring worries that the parcel might have been poisonous.
The concern brought a police bomb squad and FBI agents to the scene. Authorities determined the package wasn’t hazardous, Chief Leonard said. It contained salad bowls.