POLL DU JOUR
● 74 percent of U.S. gun owners say owning a gun is “essential to their freedom.”
● 73 percent of the owners say they could never see themselves “not owning a gun.”
● 67 percent say they own a gun primarily for protection, 38 percent for hunting, 30 percent for sport shooting; 13 percent own a gun as part of a collection and 8 percent for their job.
● 66 percent of the owners own multiple firearms.
● 49 percent say all or most of their friends also own guns. Source: A Pew Research Center survey of 1,269 U.S. gun owners conducted March 13-27 and April 4-18 and released Thursday.